I have a TV manufactured after 2002. Do I still need a converter box?

I must have searched for an hour now, but I can't figure out if I'm going to need a digital converter box to get a signal next month.

I don't use an antenna right now, but I am cutting off my cable this week and need to know if I will still be able to watch without one of those boxes. My husband says all newer TV's won't need to box, but I'm not sure.

Any one know?

sweetheart1985

Asked by sweetheart1985 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Entertainment

• With cable you won't need the box, but if you are going back to an antenna, you WILL need the box. The TV doesn't matter, it's how you are receiving the signal and the antenna uses an analog signal which is what they are not going to broadcast anymore. So if you are using an antenna, you will need the box. I would definately apply for the $40 coupon, or keep cable. If you keep cable or go to satellite like DirecTV or Dish Network, you won't have to worry about it.
    KierasMomKrisie

Answer by KierasMomKrisie at 10:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Its not the tv that matters it the way in which you receive your tv.....cable will be fine, satelite signals will be fine....but antennas will not..

If you are cutting off cable you will not receive any tv unless you have a box.

That is how I understood it.
    Anonymous

• I think that unless you have cable you hve to have the convertor box. I think the gov is not doing this until June not in Feb. They just changed it in the past couple of days.
    Anonymous

• You probably need a receiver. On your TV settings there should be something that says digital or analog. If you have a digital setting you should be ok if you dont then you wont be able to get anything.

Answer by gemgem at 6:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• We have just an antenna and we only get 3 channels, but one of them is in High Def. (and we get 4 fuzzy Spanish channels). So I'm not sure. But haven't had cable oor anythng for abut 7 yrs- so it doesn't really matter to me.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You need the box.Did you send for the $40 coupons?I had to buy some boxes formy aunt .They were on sale so using the coupon card I only had to pay tax.
    southpawshelia

Answer by southpawshelia at 11:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• do you just have antenna on it? Or is it cable ready? MOst newer tvs will be fine. My main tv is 12 years old and we're good.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2009