My son is 2 and wakes up every night without fail crying for a sippy with milk. I've tried having him cry it out but he is relentless and cries for hours, or he comes into our room. Does anyone have any tips on getting kids to sleep through the night?

MamaBearBrown

Asked by MamaBearBrown at 11:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• putting him to bed with anything but water is never good. try giving him more food at his last meal. Every child is different and it may mean he's growing.
    crzybch

Answer by crzybch at 11:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It will take time for him to see that you won't give him milk in bed anymore (because it's been done before) but can he have a paci or some water?

My 2 yr old daughter gets a paci at bedtime an if she wakes up, I take her right to bed and if she wants, we go to the bathroom for a sip of water (I have a cup there)and sometimes I sit her on the potty.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My son has never had a paci or a bottle or cup in bed. I was able to do this by not giving him these things at bed and making sure before bed that he eats well at dinner, has a snack, and a cup of milk before bed.
    JJzMaMa87

Answer by JJzMaMa87 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My youngest son would wake-up every night and I would get up and give him a drink. We moved him in with his older brother, had reading(quiet time)time, play soothing music, and that really helped until he went to school and anytime he was stressed for any reason. My boys don't like change so when change comes they need that time of reassurance and just a little extra mommy time.
    Yvonee

Answer by Yvonee at 4:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2008