Honestly what makes teenagers think so logically wrong???

Or do they just do that to push our buttons? Maybe not all teens do this but my ds just doesn't think right! Sometimes he says things and I just gotta wonder what is he thinking!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I always say they lose their minds but dont worry they do find them again. My dd is 19 and shes like......normal.

Answer by gemgem at 6:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• lol i think just some of us dont think right. sometimes i wonder myself what im thinking lol
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It really is their brain chemistry and males take longer to mature. In the case of males, some things will never actually get better, don't ya know?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Remember they don't have what we had growing up ......the right tv shows ,,the right role models,, the right social settings ,, and the right music............
    othernana

Answer by othernana at 11:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• gosh there is a great book that explains it and I cannot for the life of me think of the name of it right now!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It's so comforting to see your responses! My son is 18, away at college for the first time, with his girlfriend at another college one hour away. Throughout his life, my son was an excellent student and was very level headed. All of a sudden, he got HORRIBLE grades during his first semester, he visits his girlfriend every weekend instead of studying, and INSISTS he knows what he's doing! We're trying so hard to encourage him to at least speak to a college advisor about how to do better this semester, but he insists he knows what he did wrong. Has anyone been in a similar position? If so, how did you handle it?????
    teencrazedmom

Answer by teencrazedmom at 1:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The human brain is not completely formed until mid-20's. It has been proven that teenagers and young adults have an impaired ability to make proper decisions in many cases.

You've got to guide them with their decisions. You've also got to remember what it was like to be there age and listen with your "teenage ears." Some of the trivial stuff that seems so stupid to you as a mature adult REALLY is VERY important to them for one reason or another. I remember the more bizzare things being important to me and feeling so upset when it seemed like my mom didn't even try to understand. Looking back, I can't even begin to tell you why those things were important but they were. I think making a teenager feel like they have a valid points and opions while guiding them to make good choices is key to good communication.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Lol, it's hormones. Young adults (even if they are still our babies) are flooded with them, and sadly at 18 or even 21 there isn't some magic switch in their brains that flips and tells them "HEY! Quit being an idiot!"
    SarahMelvin86

Answer by SarahMelvin86 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Ok, I think I found it.

The primal teen : what the new discoveries about the teenage brain tell us about our kids / Barbara Strauch.
    by Strauch, Barbara.
    New York : Anchor Books, 2004, c2003.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• lol dear their brains haven't developed fully yet :) give him time he'll be o.k.

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2009