Ive decided to go to school for nursing, but wanted to go for and RN, but someone told me that I had to be an LPN first and then go back for RN. Is that true?

Oldham80

Asked by Oldham80 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Where I am (in TX) this is not true. You can go to school to directly get your RN..I am HOPEFULLY planning on applying to nursing school in the spring..I already applied for nursing school once before but due to having one B, I didn't get in..
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Not if you live in Canada. In Canada, you must go to university and take an RN degree. You do not need to go to university to be an RPN. Don't know sbout the U.S. though.
    Annelynn

Answer by Annelynn at 11:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I'm in Iowa and I'm going to start prepping for our nursing program here. At the college i'll be going to, its a requirement to have your CNA to start the program and once in the program you get you'll LPN and then continue with your RN. I'd check out the colleges in your area or where you're able to go and find the best program for you.
    JJzMaMa87

Answer by JJzMaMa87 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• it is not a requirement to have an lpn first, but sometimes it is just faster and easier if you do. there can be waiting lists to get into an rn program so a lot of people will get their lpn so they can be working while waiting to get their rn. as a lpn i can tell you, if you have the opportunity to get your rn go for it. it is "harder" to go back for your rn once you have kids and working full-time as a lpn. if you have any questions, feel free to message me.
    anna17

Answer by anna17 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2008