Can seeing spots when you are pregnant mean anything other than preeclampsia?

I have been seeing spots on and off, usually maybe once a week or every other week, but it's been happening more often and for several days now I'm getting it everyday. At first it happened most times when I got out of the shower, now it seems to happen when I'm doing any activity and seems to get better if I sit down. It usually doesn't last more than a minute (usually I sit down as soon as it starts). I usually have a very low blood pressure (like very low 100's, sometimes 90's over upper 50's to 60's) and have kept it low so far during every check up, including the last on on Friday ( I forgot to ask about it when I was there). So if it's not high blood pressure, then what else can it be?

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's best to call your doc about it to be safe.
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 6:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• if your blood pressure was high at your last visit they would tell you so it could be a lot of different things i would call your dr.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yeah, it was in the same range as I normally have, that's why I'm confused. I do plan on talking to my Dr. about it, I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and it was something else.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• headaches
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would think it's high blood pressure and even though your bp is low when you see your doc, it could be high when you're seeing spots. Talk to your doc and see about renting a home bp cuff so you can take your bp when you're seeing spots. But if you're worried about preeclampsia, you should be talking to your doc anyway. I had that problem plus migraines when I was on a certain medication and it wasn't until I was off of the meds that it all went away. I did have built-up pressure behind my eye and had to be on meds to get that corrected. Granted, I wasn't pregnant during any of this but I have experienced the spots before...not that that's necessarily comforting....just talk to your doc, hun. Do you have a good one there? Who did you see when you lived here?
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 7:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I had the same thing. I also have really low blood pressure and the spots were due to low blood sugar. When I would see the spots I would also feel lightheaded. So if I sat down both would go away. But if you are worried, check with your Dr. That's what they are there for.
    Jules_

Answer by Jules_ at 7:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When I had my epidural, my blood pressure got too low and I saw spots so maybe it's too low? Also, I had a dizzy spell and went to the er and they said that when you're pregnant sometimes your ears retain fluid just like feet and hands and that can cause equilibrium to be off and cause dizziness and spots before the eyes. All this info is great huh? but you still need to see your doc and find out what's causing your spots for sure instead of just what it could be. Love you girl and hope everything is going great! Keep us updated!
    miss_ang

Answer by miss_ang at 11:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2009