How to continue to care for my avocado seed?

I have decided to grow an avocado tree only because I love them mmm!
I can eat them alone with alittle salt or as a sandwich.
I do realize that it is going to take some years before my little tree can produce avocados, lately I have been watering it and it has grown some stems I am so happy for my little plant. I have been taking care of it since July 2008.
Any one out there with a green thumb?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Not I, but I too have had an avocado tree since July of '08, and it doesn't have any stems yet :( It just has leaves at the top, it kinds looks like a really skinny palm tree, lol. But it is about 3 feet tall, so I thought it was doing good.

Let me know if you find anything interesting out!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Do you know what kind of avocadoe it is? Either way, make sure it has access to water if it is on your lawn (take at least 8" of grass out in circumference) if it is in a pot try to plant it where you want it to thrive already. It needs to get used to the soil. I am no expert but I have the best frickin' avocadoe tree EVER!!!!!!!!!! LOL, They are the size of a giant mango and the flavor is to die for. When it does get a little bigger, don't let the kids climb on it and don't cut any branches to "shape" it. Let it be or you can shock it. This is what my dad told me before he died and I believe him. The summer he died all the kids visiting jumped on it, climbed it and hung ropes to swing from it and that fall it didn't give us any.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009