Why can't JW's celebrate Holidays and Birthdays or say the pledge og allegience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• they don't celebrate holidays because they know they stemmed from pagan holidays, and it's said in the bible that you are not suppose to allow such things. I believe they can celebrate a wedding anniversary though. Not really sure why they can't say the pledge, it's been a while. My grandmother use to be a JW, before she passed away.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Person above me is right. I'm not JW but it's true that holidays stemmed from pagans and they think it's wrong to celebrate your years here on earth.
    Anonymous

• JW witnesses believe that's what it says in the Bible but lots of scripture is misunderstood (by lots of religions). This is why I'm not a part of a religion. I read the Bible and go from that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My friend once told me they don't celebrate birthdays because you should love and cherish each other every day, not just make a big hoopla on the day you were born.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• that must be why they don't make a big hoopla over celebrating christ's birth. good to know. i had a client who was JW and,if i remember correctly, she told me they didn't celebrate mother's/father's day, either. i had no idea! i didn't think those were pagan holidays..just days set aside to celebrate certain events/historical events. interesting.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I always thought that they didn't celebrate holidays or pledge because it was like putting "another God" before the Lord. There should be no "allegience" pledged to anyone but the Lord.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Mother's Day, Father's Day, Sweetest Day are all hallmark holidays. I don't believe those are pagan...

Easter is pagan if you celebrate it the pagan way OR it's Christian if you celebrate it the Christian way.

In the Bible, there were celebrations throught the old testament and the new. Paul warned the Galations against celebrating holidays as if trying to impress God with their ceremonies and religious busyness.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• JW's do not celebrate anything that encourages gluttony, or puts them in the center spotlight. Well puts jehova god out of the center spotlight. Birthdays, valentines day, any holiday.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Exodus 32: 4-10 notice the Israelites adopted an Egyptian religious practice but gave it a new name. And god punished them for this. God observed firsthand the pagan religious practice from which this originated. Shouldn’t his view be what matters? This upset god so don’t you think these practices that stem from that day upset him now.

This is why they dont do hollidays most are part of a pagon teaching or stem from it.
    Anonymous

• actually Jesus birthday...nobody know the actual date but some scholars state it was somewhere in late summer like Sept. What happened was early Christians in order to convert pagans adopted Yule the pagan holiday and made it about the birth of Jesus hence the Yule log, tree, and original lights on Christmas trees were candles. Easier to convert people when you keep some of the old traditions and just add new with the old taking on new meaning. As for Santa and the whole gift giving that was a Dutch man who made toys and put them in the wooden shoes the children left outside their door. That is where the gift giving and tradition of hanging stockings came from.
    Anonymous