I was given an ALDI gift certificate which is not a gift card, but a paper version

Wondering if I have to use the entire amount or if it is ok to use only some at a time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on May. 8, 2012 in Money & Work

• Ok, they do have gift cards, learn something new everyday. But I found this online. You must use the entire gift card in one transaction.

I went to Aldi yesterday with a $25 gift certificate. Not a gift card, a paper gift certificate. I got about $12 worth of groceries and was told by the cashier that I could not receive cash back. I pondered that for a moment. Who in today's retail climate expects to get money back from a gift cert, card or unreceipted return? Not me. I asked if I could just have a new certificate with the difference. The minimum amount on a cert is $25, a manager told me. It's not possible to write one for less. Do you want to just take what you have or go back for more?" I was asked"

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:19 PM on May. 9, 2012

• I'd ask at the customer service desk. But I'd think as a paper certificate, you'd probably have to use it all at once. With a gift card, it can be updated to reflect how much you spent and what your current balance is. They can't really do that with a paper version. Unless they're going to write on it what you spent each time, or issue a new one reflecting your new balance every time.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:05 PM on May. 8, 2012

• I do not know how ALDIs does it, but I used to work at a grocery store and we gave out paper gift certificates. We would process it like a check in our registers and it would show the amount used on the back. We would then write the amount left there as well.

I can remember when I was a kid and Major Department stores gave paper for the gift certificates, they would do something similar. Some stores would even give you CASH as the change instead of figure out what was left on the certificate.

So, long story short. You need to call and ask.

And now I just realized how OLD I really am!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:17 PM on May. 8, 2012

• at the grocery store i used to work at, when a person used a portion of a paper certificate, we'd write up a "charge slip" starting with the original amount on the certificate, the amount used along with the date they used it, and the remaining amount. we would sign it, they would sign it, one copy went in our drawer and one went to them to use the same way the used the certificate in the first place. the next time they came in, if they still only used a portion of it, we would write up a new slip with the new balance.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:22 PM on May. 9, 2012

• Anon, they don't use coupone because everything is generic, but they accept debit and credit cards I believe. At least Debit I know, since I use mine all of the time there. NO i don't believe it is fake as my friend bought it for me.

The ALDI stores better not ask me to give up the difference, that is crzy ! Now I am gonna call. Making a trip tonight.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:43 PM on May. 9, 2012

• :( They apparently don't have a phone!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:53 PM on May. 9, 2012

• ?? google it ! no even a contact or email adress ?
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:10 AM on May. 10, 2012

• Steubenville OH ALDI had no contact info so I just went in. I had to use the entire amount, which as pretty easy to do, thankfully.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 PM on May. 10, 2012

• Are you sure it's not fake? Aldies doesn't do coupons, or credit cards. I seriously doubt they would issue a gift certificate.
    Anonymous