someone told me not to drink milk while breastfeeding is this true???

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some people say that foods high in fat (like milk) is not good for the baby. I don't know how true this is.

Do some research and form your own answer based on that.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• sorry but that someone is a retard. it is safe to drink milk while breastfeeding that is the stupidest thing iv heard.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• For comprehensive info, go to La Leche League's website. They have LOTS of details. For example, my daughter-in-law is sensitive to milk (not quite allergic nor lactose-intolerant, but it has to be organic milk or she gets a stomach-ache). Her baby goes in and out of having an irritated digestive system (greenish poop with mucus in it) so she has had to explore what to do. La Leche League was extremely helpful.

And the above answers are great.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• well dairy causes my son to have a diaper rash, so whoever told you isnt retarded, its just different for everyone. so if it doesnt bother your son dont worry about it
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think they meant to tell you that in case your son was sensitive to dairy. But to not drink it at all? Never heard of that one. 3 of my 5 kid's couldn't handle the dairy I ate when I was breastfeeding so I stopped and then they never had problems, even to this day they all eat dairy. But people think they have to do formula because their baby is allergic to their breast milk when a lot of the time it's just the food they are eating that causes that for the baby. Too much info I know :-)
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 7:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Eliminating dairy from your diet can make a tremendous difference in the level of colic your baby experiences. So the person that gave you the advice is not "retarded." Most foods you eat probably will not affect your milk or cause colicky symptoms in your baby. However, some infants develop a sensitivity to the protein in cow's milk. If this occurs, you may need to stop eating milk and dairy products.
    Galinash

Answer by Galinash at 8:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Research now says that what the mother eats has little if any effect on the breast milk. However, there are some foods that may cause a food sensitivity for the baby...such as milk or eggs. My pediatrican says babies are just gassy....some more than others. Whatever you do, make sure your taking your vitamins, so you don't miss getting your calicum & vit. D.
    Dragon_Heart

Answer by Dragon_Heart at 8:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I breastfed 4 babies thus far, and I could eat some dairy products. However, if I ate icecream or drank milk, it constipated them (dark green poop) and made them cranky. Our bodies don't break down milk proteins completely by the time they go into our breast milk (from what my ped. tells me), and your infant's body cannot break it down.
    Tiffa-Knee

Answer by Tiffa-Knee at 12:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2009