Do bigger breast produce or have more breast milk in them?

vall11

Asked by vall11 at 11:31 PM on May. 8, 2012 in General Parenting

• no, i think production depends entirely on the breastmilk producing hormone and not the size of the breasts.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:35 PM on May. 8, 2012

• No. Larger breasts simply have more breast tissue and/or fat tissue. You will feel engorged and get a little larger as they fill with milk, but an A cup is not going to have any more milk on average then an F cup.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:40 PM on May. 8, 2012

• I was wondering because I have really tiny breasts and I can't even pump an ounce for both breast...
    any suggestions on how to increase or there's no way?
    vall11

Comment by vall11 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on May. 8, 2012

• Pumping is not the best indication of milk production. The only way to really tell is if baby is having enough wet diapers per day. I think the number is 6-8, but it's been a long time since I nursed and pumped.

The more baby nurses the more you will produce. Also make sure that you are drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day. Oatmeal, fenugreek, and mother's tea are also supposed to help increase your supply.

kelllymom.com is an awesome resource.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:58 PM on May. 8, 2012

• What you pump only signifies your response to the pump. There are women who are DDDs and cannot get even that much! Normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces TOTAL... more is gravy. And ANYTHING at night is a bloody miracle! When the sun goes down, put the pump to bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 AM on May. 9, 2012

• There are a few ways to increase output, eat certain things- stay hydrated- nurse more frequently. i second looking on kellymom.com
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:59 AM on May. 9, 2012

• No, they don't. I agree with all the above ladies. I have H cups and they didn't get any bigger with pregnancy and they barely squeezed out a drop. La leche told me that it was fairly common for larger breasts to have more trouble producing milk. I desperately wanted to breastfeed and couldn't ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:28 AM on May. 9, 2012

• NO they don't produce more milk. I had a heck of a time getting my supply up and I was exclusively pumping. My baby couldn't latch--only had one successful one at 2 mos old and it didn't last long. If you nurse have baby empty you completely and then pump. This will help signal to your body that you need more milk. Good luck, I pumped exclusively for 7 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:10 AM on May. 9, 2012

• Absolutely not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:09 PM on May. 9, 2012

• The milk glands hold milk----your breasts are mostly fat and a little muscle. Size really doesn't matter. LOL. I was almost flat-chested but I produced so much milk it was amazing. I drank lots of liquid and spent time relaxing and holding my baby. It works.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 12:12 PM on May. 9, 2012