can JW's celebreate thanksgiving?

since it's not a pagan holiday?

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 7:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• or you can go to our official site at http://www.watchtower.org/  to look up any info about what we believe and the Scriptural reasons...

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I often wonderd why we do? We killed them and took their land.Hmmm Lets eat!!!
    Anonymous

• JWs do not celebrate Thanksgiving. It's not a Pagan holiday HOWEVER... It's a political holiday. And they do not participate in any politics or political holidays either. They do not mix with the world. And only celebrate "holydays" that are comanded in the bible... AKA, the last supper. They do not partake in politics of the "world" in order to stay "clear."

So in short order... No.

I also agree with Anon... We shouldn't either... It's really a horrid thing to celebrate!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Thank you Sabrina, I always hold out hope of calling you my Sister.....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It's a political holiday. And they do not participate in any politics or political holidays either. They do not mix with the world

Hey thanks SabrinaMBrowen I was just going to reply and you took the words right out of my mouth so once again Thankyou so much. Yes she is correct this is why.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 9:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• lisarose45....LOL wouldent that be nice
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 9:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/Beliefs/their_beliefs.htm
    here is everything they are allowed to do, and not allowed to do.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• In early autumn of 1621, the 53 surviving Pilgrims celebrated their successful harvest, as was the English custom. During this time, "many of the Indians coming... amongst the rest their great king Massasoit, with some ninety men."
    That 1621 celebration is remembered as the "First Thanksgiving in Plymouth.
    Abraham Lincoln began the tradition of an annual national Thanksgiving in 1863.

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• JWs do not celebrate Thanksgiving. It's not a Pagan holiday HOWEVER... It's a political holiday. And they do not participate in any politics or political holidays either. They do not mix with the world. And only celebrate "holydays" that are comanded in the bible... AKA, the last supper. They do not partake in politics of the "world" in order to stay "clear." So in short order... No. I also agree with Anon... We shouldn't either... It's really a horrid thing to celebrate!

This is true but I find it ironic that if they aren't allowed to celebrate birthday's and the like why can the celebrate graduations and marriage anniversaries? Contradictory much?

Anonymous