i'm breastfeeding, i've got the flu and my milk is gone. what do i do?

i've been sick and my milk supply is gone! i can't keep anything down so i can't eat or drink anything to increase my supply. my daughter is kinda sick too so all she wants to do is nurse, she keeps getting frustrated cause she's not getting anything though. she's 10 months old so is eating solids but she wants nothing to do with them today. i tried giving her a bottle and a sippy of pumped milk but she wanted nothing to do with it. any advice??

muensters_ma

Asked by muensters_ma at 7:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• poor girl just keep trying to nurse! your body should keep producing milk for a couple days even if your not eating, but you do need to drink water at least, your not going to get any better if your not drinking fluids, you may get dehydrated. hope you both get better
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Oh. I 'm so sorry you're not Well! Can you get some Help?? I wish you could! I also hope you get Better~! Do you need to go in?? Are you getting enough rest, Sleep, Nutrition & fluids?? Do you have any Gatorade or pedialite for either of you!? Maybe that could help! Sometimes for no reason Breast milk just stops!! Did you call your Doctor?? I hope you both get Well completely Soon! Know I Care & Am Wishing you both Well!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Hey! Not only are you not feeling well, but you have to deal with a supply issue! Ouch! Have you tried Pedilyte with Ava? Evelyn drank it when she was sick. And my friend the, Peditircian, told me that a lot of lil ones don't like it at all so they suggestion watering down gatorade just to get the electrolytes.

I would imagine your supply will come back as soon as you are back to 100%. Mine wavered a lot, espically during my cycles.
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 7:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yes your body is just working overtime. Stay in bed if you can and bring baby with you. Get yourself a big bottle of water or your favorite drink and stay in bed. Keep allowing baby to nurse. Laying in bed and resting is going to help your body fight your bug but also supply your milk.
    One thing I loved to drink when I nursed all my kids was drink hot chamomile tea. It will naturally relax you which will help your milk let down....It almost made me engorged sometimes..and it is safe for baby too. Not only that it will help detox your body...that and drinking lots of fluids. Get better and get lots of rest..both of you...get some movies and just stay in bed..
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Electrolyte water, water with lemon should help with naseous, ginger tea? vitamins, pedialtye? Good grief honey I am not sure if you can't keep things down! ((HUGS))
    suekeem

Answer by suekeem at 7:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Change the nipples to the bottle ,give pedialyte and see if that works?! Get well soon
    Angie32Red

Answer by Angie32Red at 8:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You poor thing! It's miserable to be sick when you have to take care of little ones. You probably don't want to hear this, but if you're taking a decongestant like Sudafed, you may want to stop. My doctor told me it could dry up my milk supply. Other than that, I'd just echo what everyone else is saying. Hope you feel better!
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'd visit the doctor to stop the vomitting. I echo what the others have said, lots of fluids. And as much sleep as you can get to heal. Try Mother's Milk Tea to help with your supply. I'm unfortunately the kind that when my milk dried up, nothing could make it come back. So be prepared for that but hope for it to come back. I hope you and your little one feel better soon.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 9:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2009