My 15 month old is he behind?

My 15 month old walks and says momma and dadda sometimes I think he says other things but my Husbands says I just want to hear those things. Ive read things that say he should be talking eatting with a spoon and fork and also coloring pictures. Is he behind. I'm a working mom and I'm really worried my mom watches him during the day I'm sure they play but I don't want him to fall behind. Please give me realy answers not what your baby genius is doing.

Michylyn

Asked by Michylyn at 7:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is probably not behind, every baby goes at their own pace. If you want him to color more then send a coloring book and crayons to your moms with him. Let him start using a spoon on his own, might be messy but he will get it. Most of all don't worry about it, I'm sure everything will be fine.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 7:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• at 15 months my ds was saying momma, dadda, and maybe a couple other words, like car. i was worried too, but he's 22 months now and is still working on his vocabulary. he says alot more now but not as much as they say he should. some kids just work on their motor skills more then they're vocabulary, and vise versa. as for eating with a spoon/fork, yeah he should be doing that. i bet if you give him a spoon, he'll just start using it. if not, just set an example for him and he should learn quick. my son didn't start coloring until he was about 20 months. i just didn't want my walls colored lol. he still tries to eat them..the other day, his poop was green from eating the green one lol. if you're really worried, talk to his pedi, he should help you out. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Eating with a fork and spoon and coloring pictures?????? ~~ No 15 month old that I have ever known could do that. A few words is fine, as long as he is using other ways (pointing, etc) to communicate with you!
    He MIGHT be interested in picking up a crayon.... and maybe, he will make a few marks on the paper, but that is very different than coloring. Also, he should be feeding himself by now, but as long as it's finger foods, you're fine.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• He sounds fine. Here's what BabyCenter's chart says for a 15 month old:
    MOST 15 month olds can... Play with a ball, Use three words regularly, Walk backwards
    Half of the 15 month olds are beginning to.... Scribble with a crayon, Run, Adopt "no" as his favorite word
    A few 15 month olds are beginning to..."Help" around the house, Put his fingers to his mouth and say "shhh"

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-13-to-18-months_1496589.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Around 18 months you might find he goes through a language explosion. Then you'll long for the days when he didn't say much....lol. Don't sweat it.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• He sounds like he's on track for his age. Google "early childhood developmental stages" for some charts about growth and development. Read picture books to him and point out the names of the items in the books, sing songs, do finger plays, play with blocks, cars, balls,etc,
    He will learn best by playing with you and also being exposed to children his age. Make sure your mom has several age appropriate toys and books to use with him.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 8:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i wouln't worry. my dd is19 mo and sh has been a chatter box, but her cousin who is 2 mo younger than her doesn't even say momma and dadda, very rarely does she. she grunts for everything but she will be walking around and start saying ABCD. all babies are different. he may know the words but just not be a talker
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 8:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son is 15 months old and I've never even given him a spoon or fork.....he eats with his fingers all on his own. Don't worry about it your son's perfectly fine. Sometimes our kids don't have certain skills just because we haven't taught them yet, or given them the tools to practice. If someone wants to sit around and teach their baby to eat with a fork.....go for it.....I'd rather wait till they're 2 and can just pick it up and be like "cool a fork" and start using it right off the bat. I don't believe in pushing some of these things, after all I've never seen a person who didn't know how to use a fork....eventually they'll learn.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Thanks everyone
    Michylyn

Answer by Michylyn at 9:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Wow, then me and you are in the same club! My 15 month old doesn't use a spoon and she likes to eat crayons..lol. Your kid sounds perfectly fine. All kids are differant. If you had said somthing like my baby is 15 months and he isn't rolling over then I would worry but your kid sounds fine. I work too and my mil watches my daughter. I often sit at my desk and panic because I think that she is going to fall behind the other kids because I am not sitting there with her cramming knowledge into her little brain. But, you do what you can when you are with them. My daughter says a lot of words but she just started walking. She didnt sit up untill she was 8 months old. But like I said. All kids are differant. Relax... enjoy them when they are this cute!
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009