Tithing at church?

Does anyone actually give 10%? I just can't phathom that being even remotely possible. Yes, I know God will provide but still... thinking about actually giving 10% makes me choke.

jenettyshome

Asked by jenettyshome at 7:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I actually tried it once, just to see how we'd be blessed. A couple weeks later we got a check in the mail from our insurance company (house) because the escrow took too much. We ended up getting back almost 3 times the amount we tithed.

Some say cooincidence, but I don't. Not once since I've had this house have we ever come into money like that. It was definately a blessing. We haven't been to church much since (a few times) due to weather and illness (we live an hour away). Once we get healthy and the weather stops threatning our drive, we'll go back regularly and give :)

You could always try it for just one month (if you get paid bi-weekly it's 2 times that month) and see what happens. The Bible says that's the one thing we CAN test God with.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have done that for years at a time. It really isn't that much. Once you get used to it, you don't think twice about it. If you have a hundred, it's just $10. And when you think of it as all God's in the first place. You get to keep 90%. It's the dang taxes that leave us short!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I give what I can. My parents give more when they have more, and less when it's been a rough time. Our pastor gave a sermon about 10 cents being 10% of a dollar, would it be that hard to give 10 cents?..."no" what about $1 from a $10?...again congregation "no" $10 from $100? It's always the same percentage so why is your perception changing? If God is blessing you with more, you should give in return was the message, even if the next week it's still your 10% of whatever.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• in my experience you get that back double. it may not be money wise, but in other ways, like getting promoted, getting help when you need it, ect. i know many people that give 10%. like my pastor says, if you don't believe it, then just give a different %, you'll see! my dh wasn't into the whole 10% either while we were dating, and he learned that God will give it back, pressed down, shaken together, runnin over. :)
    Anonymous

• I don't and I feel bad about it. It's something I plan to start doing in the near future. My BIL is a minister and I know his church is struggling to pay the bills. My own church is usually behind on the weekly budget. Times are tough for everyone. But I DO know several people who give the 10% and I know they make less than my family does, so I feel worse. Once I get out of debt (which will be soon) plan to tithe. Horrible, I guess, that I feel that paying off the debt is a higher priority, but it'll just be such a monkey off my back!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 7:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have been struggling with tithing as well. We gave 10% for a few months until I changed jobs. I took a pay cut for better hours and a better work environment so we cut out tithing to make up. Hubby wants to start tithing again so we agreed to tithe 2-3%, then 5%, then 2-8%, and finally 10%. This way it is not a complete shock to us.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I am sorry that you feel that way...and I am sure He is sorry that you feel this way. It does not actually say to give 10% of whatever make in the bible. That was Cesear who wanted people to pay taxes. How do you think a church supports itself? You tithe/give by choice not because we have to. Otherwise what's the point? I swear I get soo aggravated at my SIL because she claims her tithe on her taxes so she can get it back come tax season...and she is a head elder's wife. Needless to say I don't go to that church anymore SIL or not. But that's my opinion on it anyhow.:)
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 7:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Okay here's a thought that's going to piss someone off but really...
    Why do you have to give money to God?
    He doesn't use it..
    Why doesn't the church work with volenteers?
    Why not hold a bake sale to get money for missionary work?
    All you're doing is giving money to the Pope so he can buy his VERSACE sunglasses.
    Anonymous

• Anon, that's because you're bitter and don't know much about the church and tithing. Our tithes are there to help families in need...how many people do you see coming to the church for help? Everyone has decided to turn to the government in hard times. Our tithes also go to other things...

I can tell you now that at the few churches I've been to, the pastors didn't have anything extraordinary.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• ReneeK3
    The pastors don't have anything extraordinary.. that you know of.
    I realize faith in people is big thing, but how do you know?
    I'm not bitter, I have nothing to be bitter about :)
    I'm just saying, how do you know ALL the money goes to the families in need?
    How many familes actually get what they need?
    Do you go with the church?
    Do you go to these familes and ask?
    Do you see these families?
    I'll bet not ....
    Anonymous