How do you feel about the public education system in America?

TinasTribe

Asked by TinasTribe at 7:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Could be better.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Ask me again in 4 years after Obama is done reforming them.hehe
    We have a pretty good public school system here, we are just far enough away from AR and just close enough to St. Louis to get a good safe system.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I homeschool. I don't believe the school environment is natural or nurturing enough for our kids. I think it creates a negative environment that induces a survival of the fittest mentality and destroys childrens self esteem.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I love my son's school and it is a public school. He is very well educated and he does well. His teacher is okay but I like the school nonetheless. I like when there isn't a graduation for everything and an award for everyone. I think that children should be taught from an early age that trying hard is the best success and I feel that preschool and Kindergarten grads take away from the special occasions in their futures. I don't think that we have to make a milestone of everything.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think it is horrible. There are some bright lights among the darkness, but my kids would be there over my dead body.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 8:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Depends on where you are and on how involved you are in your child's education. Even the best private school will do a terrible job if the parents aren't helping.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• ITS HORRIBLE, and they are cutting to many things!!!!! Kids get into so much trouble because they keep cutting sports, band and other extra stuff. The gov is trying to keep people stupid so they can continue ruling the world! JMO. My mom an I were just talking about this.
    Anonymous

• I am kind of undecided on this. I think they are pushing the children harder than they need too. I mean, Mikey is 5 and is expected to know how to read by the end of the year. That's crazy. Plus, they are in school for soooo many hours and then are expected to do homework when they get home. When do they get the time to be kids? I think the teachers try their hardest but I don't know. I'm on the fence with this one. If I had the patience and the knowledge I think I would homeschool. But I'm afraid I won't be a good enough teacher for my children and I will be holding them back. Plus, I am all for the social development that schools give children.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I feel it needs to be taken over by the parents that actually care about our kids academic career.
    Anonymous

• Needs reforming majorly for it too survive! Its' current state will have to be altered entirely and teachers will need to learn alternative teaching methods. I am ready for learning to actually happen for each student, not just the "teacher pets"!

Love Much, Katherine
    nomadichippy

Answer by nomadichippy at 8:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009