Manual vs Electric?? I've heard manual breast pumps express more milk than electric ones. I have a Playtex dual electric pump, however I only get 1-3 oz from each brest. Any advice??

My daughter is 9 wks old and gaining weight right and left ....so I know producton is not the problem.

Dragon_Heart

Asked by Dragon_Heart at 7:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I could never get much of anything out with a manual pump. Some women just let down more easily for a pump than other women do.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 7:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• pumping isn't as efficient as nursing and some pumps work better than others. 1-3 oz is a decent amount. some women have better luck with manuals. I liked the medela manual I had.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I nursed both of my kids. Both of my kids were the chunkiest little guys ever. I, however, could not pump more than an ounce or two on each side. I was just never able to let down fully for a pump--and I tried both kinds. Sometimes it is just harder to letdown for a pump and not our babies.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I always used Manual. It seemed to work better for me than the electric ones.
    Just go and get a Manual at the store. Or go to the health Department they might give one for free. I think sometimes if you go the hospital and if they have breast feeding classes they might just give you one.
    Anonymous

• i had the same pump as u stated and i hated it... its sitting in the closet and discouraged me from breast feeding, i was counting on pumping because she had ripped my nipples apart... I better get on calling the warranty company, i want my money back!
    Anonymous

• I used both a manual and electric pump and found that neither expressed as much milk as actually expressing by hand. It takes a lot longer, and you have to make sure your hands are really sanitized first.
    Anonymous

• I used a double electric PIS (pump in style) by medela and loved it. I could get as much as 5-6 oz a session depending on the day
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Whenever I pumped it was with a manual...cause it was so long ago.:P
    Go into a quiet place in the house or somewhere you wont have distractions or interuptions. Somewhere you can relax. Have babies blanket or something that smells like baby if baby is not there. Drink a nice warm cup of chamomile tea, wait about 5 minutes and pump. I bet you will get more.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• depends on how much you need to bottle feed. If you are a sahm, what you're doing may be enough and it's cheaper generally to get a manual. If you work full time or need to give bottles very often then it would be best to use a double electric. Avent Isis is a good manual and yes the Pump N Style is nice but ameda purely yours or Lanisoh double electric are good too and less than 1/2 the price. Also, some women don't respond to pumps or have to train their bodies to let down for pumps. Good luck and don't give up if giving all breastmilk supplements is what you want to do.
    miss_ang

Answer by miss_ang at 12:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2009