I don't get it..

I would like to know what the issue people have with being Muslim is? Not every Muslim is a terrorist.. Just like extremes in all religions, the terrorists are that extreme in the Muslim community.
Here's another thought.. Why do people bash the East Indian/Mulsim women when they wear their respected Hijab (head scarf) or a Burka ( full body covering) in the States when there's Morman women who wear head scarves and cover up? AAAAND wasn't there a time when in church you wore a hat and if you were a woman, you dressed conservatively? Sounds like peole just want an excuse to hate something that's strange or looks different tothem when in reality, your own culture has the same things. Funny how that works doesn't it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Very true! It all comes down to judgment without understanding!
    hilary1122

Answer by hilary1122 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think its fear and not knowing how to think for themselves...or get the facts.
    I remember when I was a child, my sister and I used to think it was so mysterious and romantic.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Some woman depending on religion wear the head covering to show that there husband is the head over the family. I dont see a problem with it but i have a few muslim friends and if you could hear some of the stories especially what the children go through. Its discusting how people can be, they have no respect for another persons religion it makes me sad. Deeply hurt.
    Anonymous

• I know what you mean i just was thinking with all theese questions of JW not celabrating the hollidays. It makes me wonder why they dont get all over the Jewish & muslim people for not celabrating it too. Some people just dont know about what others do and when they dont know they like to pick on them.
    Anonymous

• I wish I had an answer for you...
    I think you said it best within your own question:

"Sounds like people just want an excuse to hate something that's strange or looks different to them..."
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 9:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Unfortunately, a few years ago I had Muslim neighbors who changed my views. I had no issues with them before then. I was excited when they moved in because they had boys my son's age.

Then the killings began. They often conducted "animal sacrifices" in their yard. Granted, we're in a rural area.... but it's like a little subdivision... everyone has 1-4 acres. They had no barn, no privacy fence... nothing. Would spend the better part of a day torturing these animals & then cut their throats and 'pray' over them as they slowly bled to death - in full view of the whole neighborhood. Then they'd dump body parts alongside the roads & - legs, hides, severed heads, stomachs complete with intestines... you name it.

I know it's not right to group people together... & several people have told me that's not normal...but images like that are kind of hard to shake.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• To Laura1229
    Maybe it was a custom they shared as a family?
    Like the question says, it's strange and scary to you because you've never done that in your whole life.. do you hate it because it's strange or do you hate because it's mean to animals or do you hate it because it scares you?
    And like every religion maybe that is an extreme form of devotion they have.
    And are you exactly sure they were Muslim?
    Anonymous

• I have nothing against muslims.. there are extremests out there that use religion as a cover to commit horrible crimes.. take the KKK they are Christians. But you can't compare all Christians to them, it's just wrong, and people would be offended to be classified with them, so it is completely understandable how you feel. Sometimes people think I worship the devil or something because I tell them I am atheist. It really sux that people have to be that ignorant. Most of my family grew up with different religions/races/etc. So I know how bad it can sux, and how some people can treat others.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It is sad and frustrating. You did answer your own questions pretty clearly and I agree. My mom used to say, about bullies, that the reason they pick on others is because they feel bad about themselves; low self esteem, bad family, depressed, etc., and that "bully factor" doesn't change much when we "grow up". When people judge others, they are really judging themselves.

I love the sign at our local church. It says, "Judging others leaves no time to love them."
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Maybe it was a custom they shared as a family. Maybe. Sick family custom.  do you hate it because ....? It disgusts me.  I don't care what religion someone is. Anyone who decapitates animals in their front yard in full view of kids playing & dumps body parts everywhere - there's something wrong with them.  maybe that is an extreme form of devotion they have. Maybe, doesn't make it right.  are you exactly sure they were Muslim? Yes. I know not all Muslims do this & I don't assume that they do.  What I'm saying is that witnessing something like that sticks with you - it's unfortunate, but true.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009