How do I teach my child that not EVERYTHING is learned in school?

My son loves to ask questions, and when i answer them he asks me how i know that. So i tell him well i learned it at school. Now he assumes we learn everything from school. He asks what the dog is doing, if i say i dont know he goes why not i thought you went to school! How do i explain to him that not everything is learned at school??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 9, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• does he have a learning disability?
    Anonymous

• You could just say "I actually just know that. Sometimes I know things I learned other places, like work, home, from books" Then just keep repeating it.

Sometimes kids look forward to what they might learn in school. It's not an odd idea; it makes sense because the vast majority of their time is spent there.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:36 PM on May. 9, 2012

• talking giving examples and news
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:39 PM on May. 9, 2012

• let him know that you are still learning everyday, give him an example of something that school does not teach (say culture) and then explain that we learn though experience. good luck
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:52 AM on May. 10, 2012