Speaking in tongues

Do any of you have this gift? If so, do you understand what you are saying at all?
If you don't do it, have you been around anyone who does or gone to any churches where they do?
what do you think of this practice?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 1:29 PM on May. 9, 2012 in Religious Debate

• MamaCass -- Do you really think someone who doesn't speak in tongues cannot be saved? Where does it say I must have the gift of speaking in tongues? It is pretty clear in 1 Corinthians 12, that "there are many gifts, but one Spirit."

As for you doubters... The gift of tongues is indeed a reality. Unfortunately, there are churches and individuals who misuse it and/or fake it. Very sad.

No I do not speak in tongues. Not a gift that I have been given.
    macbudsmom

Answer by macbudsmom at 3:12 PM on May. 9, 2012

• There's an old question in the depths of R&B where someone described overhearing someone at her church being instructed exactly when and where to have the spirit overtake them, fall down, and start speaking in tongues, and it disillusioned her to the church. I doubt hers is the only place where that's happened.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 PM on May. 9, 2012

• strange how it only happens in churches that preach that babbling is speaking in tongues... ---

indeed.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:24 PM on May. 9, 2012

• I have gone to churches where they do this, I have never felt comfortable in them. That is all I'm going to say, lol.

Lovemyfamily24

Answer by Lovemyfamily24 at 1:51 PM on May. 9, 2012

• Spwaking in tongues is biblical, it is a phtsical sign that the holy spirit has come into you. Acts 2:38. I have spoke in tongues, it was never forced on me, i was never told when to do it. Biblically it is necessary for salvation. Tongues does not come our own utterance but from the spirit of God. God manifested in flesh=Jesus, Jesus died and rose being God and all. And he told the apostles that he would send a comforter. On the day of pentecost God poured out his spirit. The book of Acts explains it all.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 2:22 PM on May. 9, 2012

• I have nothing against speaking in tongues and I do believe it happens and is a gift of the spirit, but it is the replies above that make me uncomfortable about it. I do not believe thy is a true teaching and I think it is because of teachings like that - you haven't received the holy spirit if you do not speak in tongues, you are not saved unless you speak in tongues, you aren't a spiritual as those who speak in tongues etc. is the reason why you have a lot of "fakers" out there.
    Lovemyfamily24

Answer by Lovemyfamily24 at 2:44 PM on May. 9, 2012

• here's my end-it-all thought, for me, anyway...it always confuses the crap out of me, there's never been an interpreter (like 'they' say there is supposed to be). someone just starts in blabbling, then others start 'amen-ing' and praising God, etc...it looks crazy. its uncomfortable being in that atmosphere where its obviously not good for the whole audience.
    my brain tells me its fake and to doubt anyone who says its genuine..because it sure doesn't feel like it is real. it always seems acted out, and..expected!
    fake.fake.fake.

jmho.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:06 PM on May. 9, 2012

• speaking in tongues (per the Bible's example) is speaking a REAL language you dont know OR speaking your own language and those who dont know it understand you as if you were speaking their own language. like if i went to China and could suddenly speak perfect Chinese, THAT would be speaking in tongues. i have never seen or heard of a person who truly has the gift of tongues

randomly babbling nonsense is NOT speaking in tongues. especially if there has to be an interpreter to understand what the babbler is saying b/c no one else understands them. the whole practice screams of swindling and obviously i think very little of this practice. strange how it only happens in churches that preach that babbling is speaking in tongues...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:16 PM on May. 9, 2012

• I do have this gift, and it is a prayer language. I do not know what I am praying but the Holy Spirit within me knows. There are churches where it is not unusual for someone to pray in tongues publicly with a message for the congregation, than another person has the interpretation. I just pray privately when I do it - between me and God. It is very Biblical, and not many people would suggest that a Christian has to have this gift, just like not all have the gift of healing.
    Anonymous

• "It is very Biblical"

where? where in the Bible does it say that speaking in tongues is a language no one knows but a specific interpreter? where does it say that there is a special message God is trying to impart? where is it used in prayer? i know i sound snarky, but show me so i can understand why some Christians think this is Biblical.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:27 PM on May. 9, 2012