this may sound silly

I think my female dog is starting to wean her puppies and her breast tissue is increasing since the puppies arent eating as much and i noticed her one breast is hard (almost feels how mine did when my milk came in) is that normal?

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 8:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pets

• by hard i mean engorged or so i think
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• pretty sure engorgement is normal in all mammals... all breasts work the same as far as producing milk...
    Anonymous

• It could mean infection since it is only the one. Call the vet and ask.

Answer by Bmat at 8:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Sounds like mastitis. The vet has a shot that will clear it right up. Otherwise she will be in agony.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If it's still like that in about a week, then I would call the vet. Otherwise it's normal. My dog quit feeding her puppies when they were 4 weeks, and her breasts got engorged too. As long as it doesn't stay that way for weeks, I'm sure it's fine.
    mommy030507

Answer by mommy030507 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i took her to the vet.... it wsa mastitis she has antibiotics and should be fine! thanks for all the help
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I had to take mine to the vet too. It was an infection. She made it through it. I put warm packs on it to stop the pain. But she is fine now. Are you feeding the puppies some canned dog food? I used Alpo and put some warm milk in it. It helps the mother. Their teats get sore after a while. My dogs started getting out of the box when they were nursing. That's why we started supplementing the puppies. If they are full, they don't want to suckle. Good luck and God Bless. Vicki
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009