Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I look into something like turbotax or a tax professional? I'm an old school pen and paper filer

I will be 29 in April. I don't know how much I made because I don't have my final stub from the job I had Jan-April, but it should be in the 35,000-40,000 neighborhood. I'm sure it won't be over 40k this year. I have one dependant and am divorced (I claim the dependant). I have always done my taxes by hand with absolutely no use of software. Have never itemized deductions because I never thought I needed to (still don't...I know a few things that I can claim and don't think I will make it over the standard deduction). I know how to calculate the child tax credit, dependant care credit, etc. so I'm not worried about that. I guess I'm just wondering what the benefit is to paying for either a piece of software to do something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself or paying even more for someone to do it for me. I feel better doing it myself. Has anyone ever made the switch from paper to another method? Why besides faster refund

Answer Question

Asked by Lethal232 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • what I always did was go to and do a "test run" LOL type everything in and see if it mattered. I never submit it through them though. If the difference makes up for using a person, I go to HRBlock, if not, I just use the EZ form and file the paper way. but tax act also helps me find any possible mistakes in my paper form.

    one plus to using a professional like HRblock is they know the loop holes. I've gotten about $500 more back just from the loop holes in one refund.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • dont strees i did the same step i got tired of paying all those fees in person so i filed my taxes last year online alone. i was easy and fast some websites allow you to file for free go to and they will last the websites and most sites will help u step by step this is how i will file this year. you can try it online without submitting it and see what u will get back then make the decision if u want to do it in person or online..

    Answer by davina211 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • Calculate it yourself by hand, then check it online through, or like the pp said. You can then use the fill-in forms on the IRS website to e-file for free.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • i go to turbo tax and do it online and have the check direct deposited. It is fast and so simple.

    Answer by KiaiMomma at 9:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • Also, TurboTax will let you do the EZ Form for free. If you want to go through the itemized for it goes step by step and is really easy but cost a little less than $30. And the direct deposit is REALLY fast.

    Answer by TurksMommy at 10:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • Okay...I failed to mention that I file form 1040A. If I file the 1040 EZ I miss out on over 1,000 in deductions that I can take because of child care expense and student loan interest. Complicated doesn't bother me because I don't generally have any trouble figuring it out. It has always seemed pretty simple to me. I can appriciate that some people cannot or choose not to do it. My best friend isn't capable of understanding it. (not trying to bash anyone, just clarify a little). I just don't know if there is any benefit to filing online or with hr block other than a faster return.

    Answer by Lethal232 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.