How do you deal with a smart-alec 10 year old goddess (in her own mind) and a seemingly uncaring 7 year old princess?

I love my kids very much, but I'm at the point of telling my oldest daughter if her ways don't change she's going to have to go and live with her dad. My middle daughter is great one day and the next she refuses to do her chores and cries all day! Please help! Also how do you get them to do their chores? Real answer to that one please!! I am so sick of the "you just make them" answer. I obviously don't know how to "Just make them". I've done the charts and the grounding and the we can do this after you do that. I don't know....help?

lilkitti

Asked by lilkitti at 11:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the chores part(cleaning up toys) ... tell them to do it ... if they dont tell them that if they dont do it you are going to pick up the mess and throw everything on the floor in the trash. If they still dont, pick it all up and throw it in the trash. It worked wonders on my brother and me when we were little. as for the other chores start taking away privaleges like Tv, computer time, video games, or what ever they like to do.
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• They need to know whos boss!!!! :) Good luck!!!!
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I love and recomend the Nanny 911 book.
    pinksurvivor12

Answer by pinksurvivor12 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• try this one my nephews never wanted to help their mom but they would come to my house and helped me i tried a lot of things their going through changes just like we did make chores fun sing play dance have a blast at it and if they see you having fun they will want to join in trust me it worked for my sister-in-laws boys who are 10 and 5
    tonya280

Answer by tonya280 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• put your foot down. make them. if you have to grab their hand, drag them in that room and use thier hand to pick it up, you do that. and take away everything. i personally ahve a princess and i go in her room wiht a garbage bag and start throwing stuff away. when she cries i ask her why she's cryign because i'm throwing away soemthing she didn't care enough about to pick up off the floor. and don't give it back. here if her room is not clean, she gets no phone, computer or company privileges. and that's another thing honey. all those things, perks of modern living, are privileges not rights. be a bitch about it. if they like you all the time you are not doign your job properly. they need those rules, those chores, and they need to be forced to understand that respect and hard work are the rules of thumb.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• and even though i am goign to start another cafemom riot, they are not too old to have those butts spanked. they are goign to be total hellions in the teenage years if you don't get a grip on it now. oh and when they go "i hate you" and they will just tell them "I can live with that." they'll get over it and come out better for it in the end.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• We did what was already recommended. If he didn't want to clean his room and take care of his things, we made HIM take his toys out to the dumpster. He started to care realy quick when he started losing his stuff.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• as for the attitudes I do not have any advice, sorry. my oldest boy is 9 and sounds just like your oldest. i want to hang him upside down in the basement and leave him when he acts this way but just send him to his room or give him extra chores instead. he used to ask why and I would tell him that if i had to listen to his disrespect then I was going to make him just as miserable as he was making me. as for how to make them do chores, i have not found a way to make them do anything, but what I do do is to tell them what is expected of them and that until the expected chores are done they do not do anything else and I stick to it. no tv, toys, phone, bathroom, food, drinks, outside, attention, nothing. it seems harsh to some, my hubby says that i can not withhold the bathroom and i beg to differ. since i am the one that ends up cleaning what they refuse to, let them stand in their own waste for a while and feel how gross it is. i am mean when you push me.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2008