Have you ever followed a recipe and the food didn't turn out right?

It really urks me sometimes when I spend money and time locating the ingredients ffor a special recipe. I get everything prepared to cook it. Once the food is done I immediatley find out it doens't taste good at all. Not to mention it doens't look like the picture. I did research on recipes and found out that not all recipes are tested. I didn't tkae it personal anymore. Has this happened to you?

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 8:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• a lot actually LOL I just blamed it on my cooking skills... but now I can blame it on the recipe not being tested! yay! j/k ;o)
    Anonymous

• It Has Happened To Me So I Always Mess With The Recipes, And I Taste It (Batter, Spices, Etc) Before Its Done To See If Its Missing Something.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 11:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My biggest dissappointment was when I bought Moniques cook book. I was so excited to try some new recipes. Everything I tried was DISGUSTING and I was a little mad that I bought so many ingredients and they went to waste. The worst was the blueberry pancakes. Man were we anxious and they were horrible. They were the runny batter ones that ended up very thin and rubbery like. Not fluffy at all. I ended up using the book for meal ideas and getting the recipes from somewhere else.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 2:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• this is common for me when I bake. no matter how often I do it (2-3 times a week these days) I will mess up one small step along the way. Sometimes the mistake will go unnoticed but others will be completely ruined! I have gotten into the habit of reading the recipe all the way through several times and getting everything out and prepared before I begin. And then there are the recipes that just don't taste good no matter what you do. It helps to look for books and recipes you know have test kitchen ie. Better homes and Gardens, Betty Crocker, The Food Network personalities and food mags. like cook's illustrated/Bon Apetit. These sources never fail me!
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I have had that happen. Sometimes things just don't combine in a flavor correctly and there have been several times when I've discovered that recipes were just printed incorrectly. I always make notes in my cookbook if a recipe didn't work correctly and what I did to fix it.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009