My 10 year old is going to a dance with a girl...

It's his first dance where he's actually going with a girl, is this the age they normally start getting interested in girls? My 11 year old has no interest whatsoever! WHat is your experience

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 9:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It depends on the child actually! I wouldn't be alarmed if your 11 year old isnt into girls yet no biggie and your 10 year old may be going with the girl just because she is a friend or he could possibly becoming interested in girls sit and talk with your son openly just to get a feel for it and see what he says
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 9:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Some are, some arent. Has been my experience. But if I were in your shoes I would discourage possibly even not allow doing to dances like this. I am not saying they are horrible but I feel like Americans rush our kids to grow up to soon and then wonder why they are sexually active at age 13.

I would push more video games and digging for worms and such at his age. Most people think its CUTE to see a young boy and girl dancing and being sweet on each other. But as for me I think they have plenty of time to do all that stuff later. Why worry about girls yet?

Promise him a new playstation game if he stays home. lol (just kidding, sort of) lol
    Anonymous

• Well it's a preteen dance sponsored by the youth center here on the Air Force Base so it will be closely supervised lol. With parent drop off and pick up :-). This little girl apparently told her friends she has a crush on my son, and he wanted to go to the dance anyway, so he thought it would be nice to ask her lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You should tell him what girls like and things they like to talk about. also you should tell him to just be himself and not tell a girl something thats not true just to impress her. a girl will like him better if he's himself.
    AlexC25

Answer by AlexC25 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son wasn't interested in girls until his teens. My grandkids either. I have one grandson 10 who likes girls but I think it's only bc other guys his age seem to like girls. He more or less goes along for the ride to fit in but would rather play video games. I'm sure if my gs had to take a girl to a dance he'd rather crawl under a rock!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009