Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Hi I was wondering how much I should get back being a single mom. Hed of house hold and only making 800.00$ a month. Also do you suggest doing my taxes on line ? or having a tax person do them How will I get the most money? thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • go to HR block online ... and type it in they will give you an idea... have someone do it for you..

    Answer by miss_nevin at 9:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • i do hr block online for free. it goes through everything and is super easy. and you would probbaly get around 1500-2000

    Answer by SMWOODS at 9:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • I do mine for free through They also have a tax calculator on there to tell you a guess at how much you'll get back (or have to pay in).

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • And I recommend doing it yourself. It's not hard at all online...and you'll save lots of money! We've spent as much as $300 to have Jackson Hewitt do ours in the past....big mistake!

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • If all you have is a w2 and not much else to claim then I would do them online. At H&R Block you end up paying a couple hundred dollars out of your return for them to do what you can do on your own at home. I use because it is free for active duty military. We've used it for 2 years in a row. It is VERY easy. You just transfer the info from your w2 into their forms and it walks you through everything! To find out how much you should get back you can always find a tax calculator and plug your numbers into it. You should get $1000 for you kid and however much for earned income credit since you don't make much plus whatever you paid in.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • You can file for free if you have low income. Go to and check it out!

    Answer by sidzwif at 3:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.