Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a serious case of static electricity! How do i get rid of it?

Ok......this may seem silly, but its for real=) Everything i touch i either get shocked or i shock it. I don't know why. Even when i touch my cats, car, cupboard, literally everything, i get shocked. I even went to pause my dvd player off manually (instead of using the remote) and i shocked it so hard it turned the dvd player completely off! When i kiss my husband, i get shocked! Needless to say....it is starting to drive me crazy!!!! So.....i use fabric sheets, i've even put fabric softner in a spray bottle with water and have sprayed it on the floors of our house, which is just short, office like carpet, but thats not working either. I don't know what more to do!!!!!! Do any of you have some suggestions?

Answer Question
 
krusecat22

Asked by krusecat22 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Entertainment

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Try a humidifier. The air is dry, which is typical in the winter, and a humidifier will keep it moist.
    TheDiva320

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • pick up your feet when you walk, don't shuffle them :) that'll help a ton. when you drag your feet as you walk, that is what builds up the static electricity.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • take a shower, that should help. (im not saying that you dont shower or that your dirty or anything tho! lol)
    Candice_brooke

    Answer by Candice_brooke at 9:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • be careful when you pump gas to relieve the static electricity by touching your car before you pump. I know that does not answer your question but.. just wanted to add.
    KiaiMomma

    Answer by KiaiMomma at 9:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • Buy a can of Static Guard. I can only find it at our local Walgreens or CVS. We have microfiber suede sofa's and get shocked all the time if we don't use it - works like a charm. You can even use it on your brush/comb to tame static in your hair. Use it on clothes, carpet, just about anything.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • OMG i was gonna vent about this last night, my 15m and i have been the same way for about 2 wks. My hair gets the same way as well i can't brush it with out it getting crazy and shocking me, every time I put my clothes on or my coat, or kiss my DH and kids. Its really weird my DH and kids dont have it and me and the lil one do and we are home all day. We only have carpets in are bedrooms so I know its not from me dragging my feet. I even get shocked when I pull the blankets down.
    4boysandmom

    Answer by 4boysandmom at 7:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • A humidifier or three in your house will go a long way, believe me. Humidity keeps electrons from building up enough of a charge to discharge when you touch something, which is why it is far less of a problem in the summer than in the winter. You know the old saying, opposites attract? When it comes to electrons, this is the truth...opposites attract...AND...like electrons repel. When you take off your winter hat and your hair stands on end? The positive electrons from the wool have transferred to your hairs, which are now all filled with positive charged electrons. Since they're trying to repel, your hair appears to stand on end..they're trying to get away from each other! lol
    Don't drag your feet, touch something else before touching electronics and gas pumps, keep a bottle of water (mister) for hair and clothing.
    jespeach

    Answer by jespeach at 1:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • i have this problem too! buy some static guard, you can get it at wal-mart. keep your skin good & moustirized to keep your clothes from clinging to you (it makes the shocks worse!). when you step out of your car keep your keys in your hand touching a metal key. ground yourself whenever possible! im always touching things as i pass them; the screws in light switches, door knobs, etc.
    okmanders

    Answer by okmanders at 3:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • I find lotion helps- I even lotion my nylons if my skirt is sticking to it...

    I reccommend olay quench- in the purple bottle... it has worked wonders for me.
    if you use a wood stove or something put a tea kettle with water on top and that will release moisture in the air
    LuckyClown

    Answer by LuckyClown at 4:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • I have the same problem in the winter. I get shocked, and see blue sparks. I get shocked without even touching anything. I touched a wood door and got shocked. I don't know what to say, I'd like to know, too. We used to have hardwood floors, so carpet wasn't an issue.
    Buffie95

    Answer by Buffie95 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.