How many hours/per day do you spend teaching/playing with your baby? Do you ever feel that you can do more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• unfortunately mines in daycare 10 hours a day except for weekends. So on the weekdays it's straight to bed, but on the weekends we play all day.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Every mother feels as if they could do more...as long as your little one is happy, healthy, and thriving, then your doing the best for your baby......
    My 8 month olld does alone play while i clean for about 1 hour in the morning then about 1 hour in the afternoon, I sit in the floor and play with him about several hours a day. add in naps and feeding and daddy time, he has a very busy day..
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 9:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i spend several hours a day looking at books on and off with my daughter, playing with flash cards and so on. She knew most of her animal sounds at 12 mo, if you pointed them out she would make their sound, if you asked her where they where she would point them out. She had about a 15 word vocab at 12 mo and now at 19 mo she is making 3-4 words sentenes. I don't think you can do too much but you can do too little, just 30-60 min a day makes a huge difference
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 9:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• we play just about the rest of the day b/c I'm a sahm
    SMWOODS

• I do my best to do stuff with my kids every day. It's hard some day's I'll admit that I don't do stuff every day. But I also think that they need some down time from learning. Not everything should be a lesson. I hated school and rarely did my homework. I never failed a class, amazingly! lol After having had my kids I knew I will encourage them to do work at home and for it to be a positive thing for them. I'll also stay involved. Right now my 3 yr old loves to get her dry erase board or one of her books when I'm working on her 4 yr old brother's show n tell assignment. So far it's a fun thing!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I am a SAHM and love it! I am always with my 9 month old son and I wouldn't have it any other way. We wake up in the morning, eat breakfast, watch sesame street, take baths, go to baby classes, play dates, the library, shopping, for walks or stay home and play and clean up. We also go swimming and stay busy with lots of baby centered activities. My little boy is my whole world and I love finding new ways to have fun and spend time with him. I think everyone wishes they could do more with their children but you just have to set the time aside for it and do it. Children are the most important thing in the world.
    jcbsmmy568

Answer by jcbsmmy568 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• By the time we get home at close to 6pm and feed him his dinner, we are lucky to have about 45 min of playtime before bedtime routine (7:30) so he can be in bed by 8pm. Yes, I always feel I could do more (if there were more hours in the day). We just try to make up for it on the weekends and try to make every moment count. I also stay on top of the daycare to make sure he has learning opportunities (and I visit him on my lunch hour to "play"). It's normal to feel that way; just try to be creative with the time you do have with your baby and make the most of it!!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I spend an hour in the afternoon playing with my son and then an hour at night before his last feeding. Sometimes i feel like i should do more but i have a house to clean and work to do.
    cryssi_renee

Answer by cryssi_renee at 10:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I pretty much a SAHM (only teach two nights a week) so I'm interacting with my son all day. If you're at work thats one thing but I hate when ppl say they dont play with their kids more bc they have to clean their house. You can have a decent house and still play with your kids a lot. When you have a baby you should spend more time playing with the baby than cleaning. Is anyone going to suffer if you dont sweep the kitchen tonight or if you leave the dishes for tomorrow? No. Is your child going to suffer because you keep putting them off until tomorrow? Yes. Everyone feels like they could do more, even if they are doing all you can. Just make sure you ARE doing all you can and not just making excuses. And only you can know if youre doing your best.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2009