When to start baby food and juices???

My daughter is 5 1/2 months now and I started her on cereal already when do you add fruits into it and start doing juice? I'm thinking like 6 months or so?

slynnb

Asked by slynnb at 9:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• solids after 6 months.
    i'd put off on juice for as long as possible. it's really not necessary and why get them use to drinking sugary drinks?
    now, having said that, i did start my daughter on juice at about 12 months but i also cut it with water by a little more than half.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree w-heatherama completely. my dd is 19 mo and I still cut her juice a little over half. It's more like flavored water. but she also doesn't drink more than 4 ounces total a day, she's not an eter or drinker
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 9:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• OUr ped told us at 4 months that we could start cereal as well as any of the stage 1 Gerbers. Just make sure to introduce them slowly so you can watch for food allergies. As for the juice. we didn't introduce it until 7 months and it is only an occassional treat (we also water it down by 1/2 to dilute the sugar content).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Fruits- 6 months
    Juice- my baby's pediatrician says NO juice (she's 7 months old)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would not have started solids yet, but that is just me. I would not add things to it until around 7-8 months if neccessary. Also, I would only start out with veggies, not fruit. Otherwise your lo is not likely to want to eat the veggies when you offer them. That also goes with juices, hold off as long as you can. Lots of moms try to hurry up and grow their babies up too fast. Enjoy the ''only milk'' days. They will be gone before you know it! Have a great day!
    mom2threegals

Answer by mom2threegals at 10:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• 6 months for solids....don't do juice! it s a bad habit. You know how many fillings and dental surgery I have had to do on babies and kids becuase of those damn juice bottles. its just a bunch of sugar.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Solids depends on who you talk to lol. General rule is 6 months. Juice also depends who you talk to - 6 months, 9 months, never lol. I would wait though, because its sugary and a lot of kids favor juice over milk which can be a problem. I started my son with juice at 6 months and he is obsessed with juice now lol. Hes a good eater though and still drinks his milk so its not that much of a problem but its a lot of sugar so I have to cut it with a lot of water. Plus theyre not going to miss any nutrients by not drinking fruit juice bc they will be eating fruit. I'd wait til maybe 9 months or so and then just give a tiny but, very diluted.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I started my 5 month old off with solids at 3 months, rice for a couple of weeks then added veggies then added fruits. he just started drinking watered down juice a couple of days ago in a sippy cup. I've given him sweet tea in the sippy cup as well. He still loves his milk!
    crazdlilangel19

Answer by crazdlilangel19 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I started with cereal at like 4 months...Don't say a word...my babies start teething at 4 months. Ifigure they have teeth they can eat cereal...then around 4.5-5 months I give them some veggies. Then some fruits. Then I mix in a il juice with the cereal, then i mix veggies with cereal, then fruit with cereal then they start eating all the mixed stuff so on and so forth.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My baby eats fruits and vegetables interchangeably, with no problem. It's an old wives tale that says if you start with fruits the baby will not want the vegetables.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2009