What to do ..

There's no category for this question but it fits better in this category the best:

My sister and brother who are mixed half white and half African, still in high school, called me today, with a VERY DISTURBING issue. When my siblings arrived at school today (they go to the same school) there's was graffiti all over both their lockers stating that their school was for WHITE PEOPLE ONLY (if anyone is sensitive to language and/or racial slurrs DO NOT read on..) GO BACK TO THE JUNGLES OF AFRICA YOU DIRTY SLAVE NI**ERS. GO PICK COTTON AND F**K MONKEYS.
I've never been so appalled at individuals in my whole life... not since in school I was called a dirty chink (my parents split I'm half white half Indonesian, my siblings have a different dad then I do)

What should my big sister advice be to them.. they're even afraid to go to school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are they the only ones in this particular school of a different race?
    Truth is: I KNOW high school can be a dangerous place. But chances are these people are cowards. I would tell the principal so that the lockers can be cleaned off or repainted and I would hold my head up high.

I KNOW that their are racists out there. But I think MOST people are tolerant and accepting of All people. Just keep an eye out and an ear open and go finish your education and be proud. Thats what I would say.
    Anonymous

• Well I would be afraid too? What state do you live in. That is crazy. Tell your sister that there will be so much of this in life but know your not the only one. Just ignore them and kill them with kindness. If you say nothing back they cant argue with silence and if you just let it go they eventually will too. Tell her they will find someone else to pick on soon. Also tell her to have her parents talk to the office privatly.
    Anonymous

• Don't most schools have cameras installed now? If that one has cameras, see if they can pinpoint who did it and have them expelled. That's terrible and harrassment in my book! If it continues and switching schools isn't an option...I would see if your parents would be willing to homeschool them the remainder. It doesn't sound safe and apparently that school hasn't enforced a policy against bullies.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't have any advice, but wanted to say I am so sorry to hear that someone would be so hateful and horrid! My heart is with your siblings.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 9:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would have them go to their school officials as well as the police. This is not a tolerable issue and it needs to be brought to light. I would not tolerate that at all. I'm white and my daughters father is black, and it is completely uncalled for, and actually punishable by law. They need to take legal actions, not only to put right the wrong done to them, but also to protect themselves from people that obviously have issues.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The principal didn't handle it? Is this in the U.S.? Someone took the time to find both their lockers and write this on each locker? They waited until the second semester of school to leave this kind of message? I find this hard to believe. I think you are making this up to get ppl in an uproar. Racists strike immediately. They don't wait until the second part of the year to try to run students off or scare them.
    Anonymous

• Yees this is in the U.S
    The pirnciple handled it this morning.
    Yes someone or a group knew where their lockers were.
    Second semester you know more about people and their families.
    And I don't know if they knew them all year.
    These are children still.
    Of course they're going to wait to do something like that, they want followers, they want acceptance for what they are doing.
    Anonymous

• Ugh, makes me wonder about the principal. It's true that one can sue over this under the right circumstances, not that I think that is the right option. I think they need to try to stick it out as long as they can stand it. This is unacceptable this day in age. I'm so sorry. As long as they are safe at that school, they should try to finish the year and then decide.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Call the cops and make a report about the situation. This is crap that I went through as well growing up, I was one of the only colored people at school too. I know they are scared and humiliated none the less, this IS high school...Maybe the principal and the higher up's should have a school rally about racial acceptance and how this type of behavior is disqusting and that its not acceptable! They should be put into jail or some sort of legal activity should happen...I hope you guys know who did this, or will find out soon enough to do something about it! Good Luck...

MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Honey, that falls under the term "hate crime" and it is against the law. If the principal won't do anything i'd go to the district and continue to go up from there. The Police need to be notified!!!
    Hate crimes & bullying in any form MUST be addressed. Do NOT let this just get swept under the rug. What is the next thing thes bullies are gonna do? Or< Heaven forbid, your siblings feel like no one is listening or cares about the situation and it CAN escalet to something as bad as Columbine or any of the other school shootings. Most of them were the result of nothing being done to bullies!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2009