My son has been throwing up all day long...he is playing still and acting normal.

He had his breakfast and was fine and then had his morning nap and we went out shopping on our way home he threw up all in his carseat. Afterward he was fine and playing. I gave him a pedialyte popsicle. A few hours later he threw that up. about an hour ago i gave him some gold fishes and a small cup of water. And he just threw it up. Now he is still running and playing. What could it be and should I take him to the er if he cant keep it down? he is 17 months

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like a stomach virus. if he doesn't have a fever, is eating and drinking normally, and continues playing and acting normal, I'd call the doctors office tomorrow, since he's pretty normal other than the vomiting, I wouldn't consider it an emergency so don't recommend the ER since it's for emergencies. Keep an eye on his temperature and eating/drinking. If he stops eating and drinking, gets lethargic, gets a fever, take him in though.
    Anonymous

• so should i let him keep eating and drinking even though it comes right back up after an hour? he is still playing, no temp.
    Anonymous

• and if he cant keep anything down, wont he get dehydrated and need to go to the er for an iv?
    Anonymous

• yes, he needs to at least keep drinking! if he doesn't he will get dehydrated and that could mean an extended stay in the hospital.

if it's staying in his stomach for even a few minutes, he's getting nourishment and absorbing some of it. you stated that he's been throwing up like an hour or 2 after eating or drinking, that's good! some of it is staying in.

since it's staying in for about an hour before he vomits, he's actually getting most of the liquid so he won't get dehydrated. The fact that he is still playing normally and not running a temp indicates he is not dehydrated.

part of what makes you dehydrated when you are sick is the fever. no fever is a good thing as far as that goes. it means the liquids he is getting aren't being "burned up" by his body.
    Anonymous

• I'd give him the Pedialyte drink, small amounts at a time will help him keep it down better. If he isn't wetting his diapers, then he's dehydrated and needs to go to the ER. Could he be teething?
    Anonymous

• No pretty sure not teething
    Anonymous

• 8 hrs with no wet diaper is dehydration....watch for that. Continue giving him fluids in small amounts...pedialyte or water. My son was throwing up all day and when I asked the pediatrician what to do (actually it was the nurse) they recommended giving my son 1 Tbl of COKE every half hour and increase it by 1 Tbl IF he held it down...I know....sound crazy....but that's what they said. Something about the acid in it.....whatever, it worked and my son thought it was the coolest. After he held the coke down they wanted him on crackers & bread till he held that down. I have to mention my son was "3" at the time so not sure this would work for your guy.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the answers each of you have given me. He is actually asleep now. And I am going to get some sleep. Hopefully in the morning he can keep more water down and we can give him some toast or crackers! Thanks a lot!

Anonymous