Should I go home? Is it really necessary?

Well Im 35 weeks and away from home. I am from VA and moved to my BDs hometown in Arkansas where I have no family. Some family members have mentioned that I should go home to give birth and stay for a while. I have been independent since 18 and I'm wondering do I really need to do this? Is it really going to be that bad with no family here and this is my first child? I'm feeling like it'll be fine but my family seems worried. Am I just being naive? On top of that I'm pretty sure my BDs family will be willing to help me out anytime I might need it.

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 9:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no you don't NEED to go home to have your baby. I think your family would just like to share the time with you and the new little one. Invite some of them to where you live if they really want to help.
    honestly, your doctor will probably tell you that it's not advised to travel after 36 weeks. You would be somewhere where you have a "new" doctor which isn't a good thing during delivery, you kinda want a doctor who knows you KWIM?

Anonymous

• It is nice to have someone you can call on for advice. I was glad to be near my mother since I could ask her all the questions I wanted and could trust her answers. Also, we had trouble finding a babysitter that we trusted, so it was nice to have Mom around to babysit. If you feel you can get similar support where you are, then stay. Do what feels best for you.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• No, you're not being naive - you're family is just worried. It will be hard, i'm not going to lie but nothing you won't be able to handle. My hubby is in the Army so when I gave birth to both of my kids I never had any family around. You'll do fine :)
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 9:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• No, I wouldn't go home. I wouldn't want to have to change drs at the last minute. I'd rather be at my house with my things where I have everything for the baby.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My husband and I were living 1000 miles from our families when we had our first baby. We actually appreciated the time on our own to settle into a routine and establish ourselves as a family of 3. I think you're doing the right thing by staying where you are. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• I was a foster child and I have had all my children without family. I would have liked to have someone there but luckily I have a best friend that is only one state away that is available for me to talk to anytime. That and I have my partner. I would not advise doing it all alone though. I had my first child all alone and it was one of the most depressing times I have had. In movies it always shows these happy people with a new baby. After I had my son it was just me...It was so sad. But as long as you have someone there for you i think it will be great.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You are the one starting a new family and pregnant, Why should you be the one to uproot your life to go be with them. If your family really wants to be part of the birth then they should come to see you. My mom came to stay with me for a month 3 weeks before the baby and a week after. when it comes right down to it you will have to be comfortable in your own home with your own baby so starting somewhere else could make it hard on you and the baby when you do go back home.
    ryonnasmom

Answer by ryonnasmom at 7:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009