Can a public school system do this?

We were informed by our DD today that our local schools will be cutting the school days by 3 periods (about 3 hours) per day if their emergency levy doesn't pass in May. I was always under the assumption that the states have guidelines for all districts in certain things-including min. school hours. I would think our local dist. needs the state's permission to do this. It makes sense since the state can mandate that if a system misses more than X amt. of days in a year due to weather, the kids have to make it up by extending the school yr. or attend Saturdays. Wouldn't cutting each day by 3 hours be the same? I've tried with no success so far in finding something regarding this. Anyone have any answers on this one?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not all states have set a minimun amount of hours per day for school.

That's terrible that your kids' school is doing that. Have you considered changing schools or homeschooling?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Some schools here in GA are going to 4 day weeks if they don't get more money.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• well, the schools have built in days for inclement weather. I know that for the teachers and other school staff that they have to use those built in days whether it's for inclement weather, or if it doesn't come, taking hours out of school days or having additional days off before the end of the yr. It's not fair to the workers that the days are built in and they dont get to take them off, they would be working without ay for them if they didn't get to take them
    make sense?
    Anonymous

• I'm not completely sure, but I do know when I was teaching and there was bad weather the principal would try to keep the kids to a certain time like 12:30 or something. That way it would be considered a full day. I think it is like 5 hours to be considered a day. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Anonymous

• I've been trying to find something for our state - Ohio, but haven't, yet. I do know that they get like 5 or 6 days a year for inclement weather. They've already used 3 this year (we get pretty bad weather here), so if they use these days, AND cut the school hours each day, won't that go below the minimum? I do know that Ohio has a min. per year of hours required to meet their status quo or whatever.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• And the banks need a bailout to buy a new jet. What the H*** is this world coming to?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Call don't e-mail your state education and let them know what is going on and find answers through the actual source(state) that would know about all of it...
    Anonymous

• They can. When I was in high school they tried doing it, but some rich donor came in and "saved" them at the last minute - we already had our updated schedules when they announced it wasn't going to happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The schools have already cut a bunch of "extra" classes, transportation, jobs, sports, etc. Now they want to cut into a normal school day. DD has 2 more years left after this one - I can't afford private school and b/c I work full-time, I cannot home school, either. This is nuts!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• What is this emergency levy about or doesn't pass? Who would pass it?
    Anonymous