how to stay consistant ?

ive have tried everything to stay consistant with my children and i know it is the best thing to do but every time i start somethingi end up going back to what i was doing before i need some advice on how to stick with something you start like a time out for discipline or a schedule for children please help

jencaycol

Asked by jencaycol at 9:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the same you stick with anything - through self-discipline. I suppose it helps to really believe that consistency is key and hold on to that with dear life whenever you feel like caving in. Make it your life's priority - and do whatever you need to in order to remind yourself of the long-term goal. Discipline yourself so you can discipline your children. Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I give my son a verbal warning before time out. If my son is put in time out, I let him know why he is there. I tell him that his behavior was unacceptable and he will stay in time out for five minutes. He used to get up from his time out spot, and I would just put him right back - without saying anything - and start the time over. It was really hard in the beginning, but he got point that I was serious. It took about three days for him to stay in time-out on his own the first time around. Those three days were rough: whining, crying, yelling, running around. I just wanted to give up and let him have his way so I wouldn't have to put up with that nonsense, but I just told myself that if he didn't learn proper behavior now, it would be ten times worse in the future. I love him too much to see him go down that road. Hang in there, put your foot down, don't give up.
    Anonymous

• I was in the same place (it never seemed to work) I know this sounds silly, but the real answer is: just do it, do it when you don't feel like it, and do it some more. Eventually it will become your way of living.
    Anonymous