is it hard or easier as they grow up?

I was wondering if it gets easier as our kids get older? Its hard as it is now changing dipers, bathtime, bedtime, and when I leave for work they cry. Will it ever get easier and not so stressful. I mean I love my kids with all my heart and I would not change anything in the world but I was just wondering if it gets any easier as a parent.

Jason_Avalos2

Asked by Jason_Avalos2 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I suppose it gets...different. You decide if it's easier or harder, but it will definitely be different.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When kids get older the things you stress out about just changes....Like JPSMOMMY605 said it's different.
    Personally I would rather have(take care of) a child under 5yo. Then a 15 yo anyday.

Answer by louise2 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with JPsMommy, it doesn't necessarily get better per se, but it's different as they get older. For me in some ways it's harder. Older kids sass back to you and teens get an attitude. But I've been lucky so far. My teen is a pretty good kid and so far no trouble and not much attitude. I have to say I love the idea of no diapers anymore and that they can all dress themselves and even shower by themselves now. That stuff is definitely easier!

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• well in a sense it's both.... it gets easier to manage them, such as they can slowly learn to do things by themselves, and then eventually become independent...but then you start seeing it as harder, because it gets harder and harder for you to let go as their loving protector, caregiver.... your now just mom. -so yeah it's both- Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 9:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• There are good things with all of the stages of parenting. I think I have enjoyed each stage and they all have different challenges. I have tried to live by the thought that I want to make the most of each day I have with them. We have had difficult times and there have been times that I thought I would go insane, especially when all three were little. Keep a good sense of humor, plan memorable moments and really enjoy being with them. I have loved every minute of watching them grow and just wish they didn't grow up so quickly.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• There are the terrible 2's which are stressful and definitely a learning experience! But....just wait....there are also the terrible 8's, 11's and 13's and so on. Right now I'm at the terrible 16's and 18's...lol With every age there's different phase's and challenges but each phase is most definitely filled with cherishable moments. Enjoy all those moments as much as possible.....Time flies when your raising your kids. I look at mine and see the babies they used to be and the men they've become.
    Okay...I'm going to wipe away the tears and go blow my nose now...LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with everyone. The problems don't go away, they change. You don't worry about them falling anymore because you worry about them driving. You don't worry about a sleepover away from home, you worry about who they bring home. You don't worry about what to cook for dinner, you worry about what are they doing for dinner. And these are the small things. Son-in-laws go to Iraq, grandchildren have special moments and special needs, they move to other states...etc...hey a lot goes into the children. All the stages have wonderful moments and you learn to accept the challenges and knockdown the obstacles because this is YOUR family and nothing will stand in the way of it growing or growing up! You live and love it!
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 5:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well, my kids are teenagers now, and my oldest is learning to drive. We're also facing the fact that in 2 yrs, we're going to be living overseas and our son will be coming back to the States, half a world away, to go to college on his own.

I have to say, in some ways, yes, it does get easier. They can go to the bathroom. They can feed themselves. They sleep through the night. They can tell you what hurts, or if they're too cold or too hot. They can entertain themselves for longer periods of time. They can be left alone at home / babysit while you run to the store (rather than having to haul everyone out in the cold because you're out of milk...)

BUT
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• On the other hand, they start school, and you worry, are they going to like their teacher? Are the other kids going to be mean to them? Are they going to miss you (or, for that matter, are they NOT going to miss you lol)? You worry the first time you let them cross the street by themselves - did they remember to look both ways? The first time they sleep over with a friend - are they going to get scared?

Then, just when you have all that down, then you worry - are they being pressured to do drugs? Have sex? Are they going to be in a car with someone that's going to wrap them around a tree?
    Have you taught them enough? Are they going to be ok on their own? Will they know that no matter how old they are, or how big they are, they can always count on you to be there for them?

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• And, according to my mil - after that, we have to face - are they doing ok? Do they like their job? Does their boss like them? Does the person they're dating appreciate them for the special person they are? Are they going to have kids? Are they doing ok (not that you think they'll be a bad parent, but you know how hard it is to be a parent, so...)?

So - lol - I guess what I'm saying is, YES, it does get easier, but be prepared, because just as soon as one phase gets easier, you have to adjust to a whole new set of worries, but, still, all in all, it's a GREAT ride :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009