Paying kids for good grades!

Why do some parents reward their children with money for good grades? Isn't learning a reward in and of itself?

I was always expected to do my best in school with the good grades and education being the reward. Btw, my siblings and I were all valedictorians of our classes. My "proof" that monetary rewards are unnecessary. :)

Mom2Just1Kiddo

Asked by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 7:24 PM on May. 10, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I agree. I don't reward him for behaviors he is expected to have and I won't pay him for grades he should be making.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:26 PM on May. 10, 2012

• I agree. My kids were expected to give school 100% effort.... I wasnt paying them to do what they are expected to do.
    Anonymous

• bump
    momof4boyz1girl

Answer by momof4boyz1girl at 7:30 PM on May. 10, 2012

• I wanted my son to be intrinsically motivated by doing his best and not motivated by the money. This worked because he has only gotten one C in his entire education and he just finished his Junior year in college.

I would reward him in other ways or with big things he really wanted after a successful semester or grading period.
    Moxime

Answer by Moxime at 7:42 PM on May. 10, 2012

• LOL and I thought I spoiled mine with a special dinner lol.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:52 PM on May. 10, 2012

• I don't reward with anything but praise.

But the truth is not every family works the same way. Some feel that it is necessary. And some ask kids if it's ok with them for every little thing that should be a truth, not a choice. It's what works for them. And often it's what is creating the current generation of entitled brats.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:02 PM on May. 10, 2012

• What?!?!? You can get money for good grades? Why didn't my parents know about this? LOL, just kidding, it was just expected out of us. We didn't get rewarded for good grades, just punished for bad ones. We got things taken away for bad grades, like tv privileges, or going out with friends, stereos..that kind of thing.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:35 PM on May. 10, 2012

• My parents bribed us like that.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 7:25 PM on May. 10, 2012

• I think if the payoff of a cash reward helps kids to buckle down and concentrate of academics its money well spent. I haven't done it yet but I'm not completely opposed to doing it if need be.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:30 PM on May. 10, 2012

• Isn't it a rather massive problem if you have to bribe your school-age child to do what you tell them?
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Comment by Mom2Just1Kiddo (original poster) at 7:38 PM on May. 10, 2012