How Amendment One Distorts the Bible

How Amendment One Distorts the Bible, from a professor of Biblical Studies.

It goes back to the same old argument about translation.  Why must people find the most hateful way to interpret the Bible, and use that to form laws that relegate citizens to second-class status?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:33 PM on May. 10, 2012 in Religious Debate

• This is good. I will come back tomorrw and read and comment. But I have thought for many years that the messages, verses, text in the Bible have been corrupted and used by too many people in power in churches to advance their personal agendas and for control, not for spreading God's love and for instructions in living a good life.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 10:51 PM on May. 10, 2012

• There are generally two different types of Bible professors - liberal and conservative. And there's a fairly new saying that it is surprising if you can graduate from a liberal Bible college and still be a Christian. I don't think the problem with the gay marriage issue is misinterpreting Scripture. My position on homosexuality as a sin goes much deeper than what Leviticus and Paul say, those happen to concise packages of truth for delivering on demand to inquirers.

What I believe the problem is that Christians don't understand the Biblical role of government and how we are supposed to influence culture. Christians don't tend to understand that three-fold use of Biblical law and how it applies to the unregenerate. My journey towards Calvinism is right along side my journey towards libertarianism, and if anything I've become a much stronger Christian even more so grounded in my beliefs than I was before.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:34 PM on May. 10, 2012

• So, people who interpret the bible passages in a way that behooves your ends are correct? And everyone else is full of shit? Who died and made you chief apologist?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:37 PM on May. 10, 2012

• I love how if people disagree with someone with a biblical degree, they don't dare voice what they disagree about, they must instead attack the OP, because somehow it's their fault the professor doesn't say what the pissed off whiner doesn't want them to say. At least Eilish said what she didn't agree with instead of throwing a tantrum like a drunk 14 year old.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 PM on May. 10, 2012

• JS I will read tomorrow with a fresher brain
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:16 AM on May. 11, 2012

• I'm not sure that any bill or amendment would change my mind ~ or change it ~ as far as anything that is in the Bible goes. My soul is not up for grabs, or subject to the whims of any other human. I also don't have any problem understanding that what I believe is what controls my life ... but not other lives.

That being said, I find it literally abhorrent that anyone else feels qualified to control or direct my life through laws. I also believe that as a good citizen of the US it is my duty to support and stand up for the constitution. "Equal" means equal, and right now the laws are unequal (and not just as far as gay/straight issues). I don't think that religious people should dictate to others any more than I think that gay people should sue churches, and I firmly believe that any law regarding gay marriage should reflect everyones' rights.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:51 AM on May. 11, 2012

• I have always said that love is what God is all about, and that crap of loving the sinner and hating the sin is a way to dress up a hate for the unknown, I loved this article!

Answer by older at 7:16 AM on May. 11, 2012

• I love the personal attack. I so clearly stated in the post that I am the "chief apologist", and I'm glad that at least one member here was astute enough to catch that.

Der.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 7:56 AM on May. 11, 2012

• If you do not believe in my God and honor him, don't use him to further your arguments when it's convenient for you. Didn't have to state the obvious. You want to interpret my bible and use those that do it in a way that suits your end.
    And if saying who died and made you, is a personal attack...
    The member in question was astute, she was obnoxious and attempting to get a rise out of me. It was more about getting at me than defending you.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2012

• Love this, though you already know how I feel ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:14 AM on May. 11, 2012