How do I get my kids to go to bed at night..they are driving me crazy!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It will take a few days of this, but don't fight them, but if they gave you a hard time tonight, then tomorrow when they ask to do something already planned or something they enojoy, like watching tv for example, say NO and walk away. They'll follow you and breifly explain, that you don't like how they don't go to bed and stay when they're asked to, so we'll see how it goes tonight and maybe tv tomorrow. Like I said, it may take a few days, but it worked like a charm with mine =]
    Also, make sure if you don't already, do a routine (make it simple) like bath, teeth,and a book. I let my kids take a book to bed with them when we're finished and as long as they're quiet, they can read it for 20 minutes. They're usually asleep before the 20 minutes is up. Hope this helps!!
    Anonymous

• This is a hard one. I'm one of those parents that got lucky with her kids. Both of my kids are in bed by 7:30 and they are usually asleep withing 5-10 minutes of them going to bed. What I've always heard is, make them go to bed at the same time, every night (including weekends). Let them read for a while (about 15 or 20 mins) and then time for lights out. From what I've been told, this works wonders.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 10:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Have a routine but you have to stick with it everyday even on weekends for ex. my daughter is in bed by 7:30 - 8pm even if she doesn't go to sleep but she will try anything to get out of bed if she gets out i put her right back in there and tell her the only she gets out of bed is to use the bathroom but when she does stay and does as I ask I give her a reward
    Kay_23

Answer by Kay_23 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i had the same prob w/mine but it was mostly my fault cause my dd is in afternoon pre-k this year and we all like to sleep in, so i just started setting the alarm and getting up 1/2 hour earlier every day it took a few weeks but they finally started going to bed at a decent hour, and now i make sure that i set the alrm every night
    lbjbmom

Answer by lbjbmom at 10:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009