Solids schedule?

My son is almost 8 months old and EBF....He gets cereal and fruit in the mornings and vegetable and meat in the evening...I'm wondering if I should be slowly replacing nursing sessions with solids? If he's supposed to be weaned by one year, what is he supposed to eat? He has no teeth and doesntn eat table food..just like the Gerber purees and beechnut, etc...is this schedule ok or does he need more?

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Who says he has to be weaned by a year? Many moms bf longer than that. Start introducing a sippy now, if you aren't already. Give him soft solids (torn up toast, mashed up table foods, etc) - just because he doesn't have teeth doesn't mean he can't eat them. Feed cereal more often, if you're worried about him not getting enough to eat. I gave my kids cereal 3 meals a day, with the jarred purees. When you do wean him, wean from breast to whole milk, or pump and give him breastmilk in the sippy. But at this age, there's nothing wrong with introducing table foods, as long as they're soft/small pieces, and not full of seasonings & spices.
    Anonymous

• And many moms wean their children by age one. That's not what she asking about, btw. She's asking about a solids schedule.

To answer your question: your feeding schedule sounds fine. I see no need to replace any bf'ing sessions right now. Breast milk or formula should be the main source of nutrition until the age of one.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Your schedule sounds fine to me. I have a 10 mos. old and her feedings are pretty similar- she nurses 4 times a day and has cereal and baby food twice/day. I would just move him to the Stage 3 jars in another month. They are thicker with little pieces of food in them so he can practice chewing (gumming if he has no teeth). And he doesn't HAVE to be weaned by one year but if you decide to wean remember that he will be drinking whole milk instead so he'll still be getting plenty of nutrition. And then you can slowly introduce soft table foods (potatoes, bread, mashed up peas and carrots, etc.) when he seems ready.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 11:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Just do what seems to be working. I mean if baby starts eating more solids they naturally need the breast or bottle less. You can still give breastmilk or formula but it isn't really necessary once a child is weaned. I just don't think they should be using the bottle or breast after a year. It just bothers me to see the kids in the stores walking around with bottles. Both of my children were weaned at a year with no difficulty whatsoever. They also had full sets of teeth though...hungry toothy kids have I...Lol. As I increased the solids they decreased the fluids pretty much.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Like the 1st person said... Who says he has to be weaned by a year?

The Who (wold health organization) actually recommends breastfeeding at least 2 years. Keep doing what you're doing. It sounds fine. If you don't want to breastfeed that long, then by all means start replacing nursing sessions with food. But do it slowly. Doing it too fast can be hard on your child. It took me a total of 6 months to completely wean my son from start to finish.
    Anonymous

• 2 years is a long time to breastfeed and is not needed nutritionally. If you decide to continue, great-but don't feel like you need to.

Your schedule sounds great. Try feeding him foods that you make for the rest of the family for dinner (mashed potatoes, green beans, etc.) a little at a time to start transitioning into more table foods.

Good luck!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I don't agree that breastmilk isn't needed nutritionally. If you want to continue nursing past 1 year, then do that. The alternative is whole milk, which if you ask any nutritionist, will tell you that whole milk has no nutritional value, everything in it is artificial....the vitamin D, etc so why not continue nursing to give your baby the best instead of dairy which isnt all that great for us anyway. My daughter, whenever she weans, will go on organic milk, and probably the 2% kind.
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 9:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Who gives a f_ck about the nutritional benefits of breastmilk? Jeez-the question is about a SOLIDS SCHEDULE. Can you take the breastfeeding chat some place else?

Yada yada yada breast is best....there I said it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Um....the fact that I still bf at 8 months should be a clue, that I care about the benefits of it!! Yes, breastmilk is best!!! and I was just wondering whether or not he NEEDS more solids so thank you to everyone that gave me advice!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009