• In the Spotlight:

ok then what should i do

ok i live with my cousin she has two kids one is two and one is 9months well i have one daughter who is just turned 3months. well i can't put my little one down for anything inless i go upstairs and put her down and it's difficult wen she crys when i put her down sometimes and when i put her down the two year old jumps all over her and trys to pich her up and gets her cryin and real upset he's kicked her in the face once and the 9month old is teethin so he trys to bite her and crawl all over her and pull her haird and grab her eyes i asked my cousin what should i do since i asked the 2year old to be more careful wen he was in the rocking chair rockin on her head and she was cryin and my cousin got mad and said he's only 2 and said i should put her in the swing on the table but the 2year old climbs it and the table is wobbly and if she gets excided she kicks and might end up one the floor what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Wow! It sounds like your baby is not in a safe environment. I would not put her anywhere unattended with these two little ones in the house. It only takes a second for something to happen and it sounds like she has already taken a lot of abuse. This is not a place for her. Do you have other places you could live? I wouldn't take my eyes off of her in this house.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The 2 year old needs to learn to be careful around your baby.. and ANY baby for that matter. 2 is plenty old to learn that and expect it.
    As for the 9 month old... well there isn't much you can do about that, other than keep your baby away from him.
    I wouldn't put you baby on the table, it's not safe at all.
    So I think... the 2 year old needs to behave around a baby, and one of the babies could go in something like a pack n play when not being held. (yours might be better protected)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would not put her in the swing on the table, or in anything on the table. Toddlers and babies don't mix that well. I had to put a gate up and put one of my kids inside and the other one out when they were 2 and the other one 4 months. Toddlers shouldn't be left alone with babies.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and knows her boundries. Your cousin needs to stop making excuses for naughty behavior and teach him right from wrong.

I don't really remember needing to leave my kids alone at 3 months old. Even when I was doing dishes they were right there next to me. It'll get easier as your baby gets older and becomes more mobile.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Put her in a play pen. Small travel swings will fit in there, bouncy seats will fit in there...and she's protected from the other kids.

And if the cousin isn't controlling her kids now...it's not going to get better. Move.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My daughter was 19 months old when my son was born. I NEVERr had any problem with her behavior around the baby. There were times when she would hug a little top tight or what not--but nothing like you are describing. Your cousin needs to control her child. Even if he is only 2--that is old enough to know how to behave better. I agree with the other posters in saying that you should put your little one in a pack-n-play. That is where I would put my son if I needed to put him down somewhere. The bouncy seat fit in perfectly too. The playpen kept my dogs out of his face more than keeping my daughter away, but in your case it could keep the two other kids away enough that you could put the bay down for a minute or two--but they would still not be able to be left unsupervised--2 year olds can climb.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well, as its the cousins house.........you really are kind of stuck. Her kids come first in her eyes. I would suggest you get a sling or baby napsack and keep your infant close to you at all times. I would also suggest that if your able to that finding a place to stay should be a priority. Please never ever put a baby in a swing on the table. Invest in a pack and play/playpen.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Please don't put the baby in anything on the table. That's dangerous. A playpen probably won't work if the 2 yo can climb into it. A couple of gates in a door might work if the 2 yo won't climb them, but they are a pain for the adults. Just saying that your cousin should make her son mind doesn't really help you either. If I were in this situation and couldn't move, I think I would keep my baby in a carrier or sling or in a ouncy seat or something right next to me as much as possible. I would also keep a very close eye on the 2 yo myself and not leave him alone with the baby at all.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2009