When looking for a therapist for my son, should I tell them what has been happening or let my son tell them?

I'm not 100 percent sure this is natural. I am going to get a therapist for him but I don't know if telling a therapist what I know about him will be invading his privacy. He's my only son and I love him and I don't want him to hate me.

JackieBudnick

Asked by JackieBudnick at 10:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am a therapist who has worked with children and families for many different kinds of reasons. Each reason or reasons were unique to that family. My suggestion: give your thoughts on why you believe that he needs to see a professional. Also it is not an invasion of his privacy. He is a child and he needs your help, love, support, and assistance. Any good therapist is going to ask you what your goals are (and his) and will work on a treatment plan accordingly. You may not know everything going on in his world. And that is okay. He has his perception, you have yours, and there are other family members also involved most likely. If one person in a family needs therapy - all family members are affected. A good therapist will invite you to participate in part of that process - how much just depends on what is going on. So be open and state concerns and be available.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Considering he's a minor the therapist will probably want to know why you are bringing him in for professional help. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
    Anonymous

• The therapist should tell you whether it's up to you or your son to "spill the beans".
    Anonymous

• They will want to know from you what the problem is first.Then talk to him.You can speak privately to therapist to summerize what's going on so as not to embarass child.
    Anonymous

• I agree with pp You should tell them but then they will probly talk to him about it too. they will want to know why you are getting him help
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 10:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When I took my oldest to therapy, they had a several page history and assesement I had to fill out. The therapist needs to know what the problem is.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• wait...aren't you the one that just asked if you should take your son to therapy for masturbating?
    Anonymous

• I work For two Psychiatrist and A Psychologist. So Long as the Child Is underage the Parents are present for the initial evaluation, and almost all sessions afterwards. UNLESS the physician has determined that the child will open up more without the parents there. In that case, The Doctor will Usually Meet with the parents seperately as well.
    JacquiV

Answer by JacquiV at 11:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• What your son is doing is completely natural in my opinion and there is no need to see anyone about it..you will be setting the poor kid up to think he is nasty and it will probably create a lifelong complex for the poor boy. But that is just my opinion lol, so I don't think he even needs to see one. But if you insist, You do need to give background information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think that you should talk to the therapist first and then allow him to help your child when they are wiling to talk about it.
    Jesusiswelcome

Answer by Jesusiswelcome at 2:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009