How can I get her to sleep at night~alone???

My dd is 16 month old, almost 17. I am 26 and my husband and I have loved sharing my bed with my baby girl. Well, now that I have been having some health issues I can't exactly sleep at night with her in my bed. I am not being selfish! When I get her to sleep I will lay her in her bed and she wakes up-straight away and starts crying. I know that she is used to being with me when she sleeps. I don't want to make this hard on her. I also have a problem with the same thing when I lay her down for a nap, she will wake up. I know I have brought this upon myself,not laying her down when she was drowsy when she was a newborn, but I thought I was doing a loving and nurturing thing. Nonetheless, do any of you other moms have any ideas?

mom2threegals

Asked by mom2threegals at 10:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had to let my son cry. I hated it but I also did the same thing. When our son was first born we were still in the process of getting our house so we were in one room at my in laws so he slept with us. After a couple of weeks(maybe not even that long) of letting him cry he would start going to sleep quicker. He is now 2 and goes to sleep in the matter of seconds with no crying. I also had to do the same thing at naptime. We just put him into a big boy bed and it worked for us that way. It is hard but just stick with it!! Good Luck!!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Wear a t-shirt to bed for a night or two, and without washing it, use it as a pillowcase or blankie for her. It'll have your scent, which is the most comforting part.
    Anonymous

• I had health problems as well. This is what I did. I put a twin bed in my daughters room. I laid down with her then when she was asleep I got up and went to my bed. Or I slept there.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2009