Are you a plain Jane?

I am thinking I have to paint some rooms in the house. I am getting ideas for the media room, but that won't make a big impact since it's not something you see unless you go into the room (which we don't have equipment for yet so no reason to go in there unless you are looking for a game or a DVD).

In the past we have always just had pretty plain colors on the walls and not gotten too crazy about painting rooms. The last house we had we painted the master bedroom and sitting room a green color and the kid's shared bathroom a pastel yellow color, but that was pretty much it. It seems that more houses in the Dallas area have a LOT of color in them.

Do you customize your house with paint or do you do it with accessories? What colors do you like best for main areas of your house?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:31 AM on May. 11, 2012 in Home & Garden

• my kids want their rooms green on the bottom half and a light blue on the top half so it looks like their are outside. but other than that we stick to mostly light colors.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:34 AM on May. 11, 2012

• I'm very much a plain jane. My color of choice is white. I have no 'displays' of anything on any surface.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:34 AM on May. 11, 2012

• My home is done in something called South Main style. There is a planned high end community where I live called South Main and the owner of many of the homes there redid my home in the style of that section of town. It's beautiful craftsmanship and reminiscent of Craftsman style. My furniture is all straight lines and black, kind of a mission style. My wall art and feel of my house is Santa Feish. I'm trying to tie it all together.

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:01 AM on May. 11, 2012

• let's break it down by room.
    home office..'organic garden'..medium green
    ds's bathroom..'mermaid's treasure'..medium aqua (underwater motif)
    ds's bdrm..'navy blue'
    ds's playroom/3rd full bath..'razorback/cardinals' red
    master bdrm/bath..'opulent'..deep, intense gold (previous owners)
    laundry..'winter's surf'..med-light teal
    drm..'burmese gold' (previous owners, but i like it)
    lvrm/kitchen/breakfast (open) and entry/main hallway/stairwell/garage..'ripe wheat' (builder's neutral/previous owners)

i like color!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:09 AM on May. 11, 2012

• Right now I'm stuck in an apt so, every wall is white.

But, when I can paint, I want:

a green kitchen

a gray living room:

And my girls want pink & purple rooms:

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:38 PM on May. 11, 2012

• I'm like meeoma, our walls are white.

We went through a phase where we painted our walls different Colors but decided white is for us.

So, yes, I'm a plain Jane :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:50 AM on May. 11, 2012

• Here's a link to South Main

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:02 AM on May. 11, 2012

• our house is the same all white that it was when we moved in 10 years ago. we are repainting this summer...all white except for the bathroom, which will be a pale beige-y color. we are very plain - i love color but am a little afraid of it!
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:17 AM on May. 11, 2012

• I am not afraid of color. But we don't have the extra income to do a lot around here like buying a lot of accessories. My husband wouldn't like all that stuff sitting around.

I'm basically living in a plain Jane setting. Except for my red & gold bedroom.The living room is small, so any dark color would make it smaller looking. We are currently working on a library room. Plan to paint it olive green/maybe some gold.

I like natural colors right now. Greens, browns, tans, gold, rust...etc.

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 11:33 AM on May. 11, 2012

• If I had all the money in the world to do lavish things, I'd love a southwestern, Sante Fe type look...or anything rustic, cabin, mountainy...etc.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2012