Poor Dog.. i feel awful

Can Anyone lend some advice? I got a dog off craigslist and kept him for 2 months.
I gave the dog to a Lady who said she would take good care of him. Now a month later the orign owner emailed me saying, shes being charged with neglect. They found the dog on the road... running down the road. Skin and bones and matted.... He still had on the org tags. I tried to call the lady I gave him to. No phone, She moved but, i got her old address. What can i do to help the owner?? I feel so bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I agree...tell them what happened. Do you have emails from the lady you gave the dog to? Maybe you could use those to prove she had them...not the original owner. The original owner could also do that to you if she had emails stating you took the dog...then she has proof, and you will be responsible for the dog. So see if you have emails to and from the lady you gave the dog to. Give them her old address, and hopefully they can track her down, but again you need proof she had the dog after you.
    mommy030507

Answer by mommy030507 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Talk to whoever is sueing her for neglect.........tell them the truth.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You can only help by being honest and telling what happened.They may get angry but you have to do it so they can track down the person responsible.Do not try to find the woman yourself, unless the owners ask you too.Poor pup, you could not have known she would do that just try to be careful net time you adopt that you are ready for a dog...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• THIS is exactly why you shouldn't adopt an aminal you aren't going to keep. And why shelters make you sign a contract saying if you change your mind you will bring the animal back to them. Not so some woman down the road.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i agree be honest and tell them the truth. after all you are next in line for the responsibility for the dog.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• A dog should not have been in your possession for 2 whole months with the original owner's tags on. You should have given the dog your own tags and then removed the tags when you gave the dog to someone else. You're at least partially responsible for the previous owner's current dilemma. I would speak to whomever she needs you to speak with in order to clear her name, be honest and accept some of the responsibility. Poor dog, I hope he get a permanent home soon :-(

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I Would Call The Court. Explain The Situation. Its NOT The Original Owners Fault, Its Not Completely Your Fault But Partially. As Long As You Have Proof You Gave It Away You Shouldn't Be Charged Either.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 1:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Thanks 4 the advice. And FYI he didnt come from a shelter. Hes going to be adopted by a lady who works @the shelter. Im glad some nice person found him on the road and took him to the shelter. For the evil lady who threw him on the streets... She will get hers. KARMA!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jan. 29, 2009