Do you think members of the House & Senate should receive benefits for the rest of their lives?

Members of Congress receive retirement and health benefits under the same plans available to other federal employees. They become vested after five years of full participation. Members elected since 1984 are covered by the Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS). Those elected prior to 1984 were covered by the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). In 1984 all members were given the option of remaining with CSRS or switching to FERS. As it is for all other federal employees, congressional retirement is funded through taxes and the participants' contributions. Members of Congress under FERS contribute 1.3 percent of their salary into the FERS retirement plan and pay 6.2 percent of their salary in Social Security taxes. Members of Congress are not eligible for a pension until they reach the age of 50, but only if they've completed 20 years of service. Members are eligible at any age after completing 25 years of service or after they reach the age of 62. Please also note that Members of Congress have to serve at least 5 years to even receive a pension. The amount of a congressperson's pension depends on the years of service and the average of the highest 3 years of his or her salary. By law, the starting amount of a Member's retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final salary. According to the Congressional Research Service, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service as of Oct. 1, 2006. Of this number, 290 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972. A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006. ttp://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongress/a/congresspay.htm  

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• No. I think congress members should be paid a stipend ~ and I'm perfectly fine if that stipend is on commission from their home district/state rather than using federal monies. I think congress members should also have to keep their regular job, not have any housing in DC, and that their entire retirement package (including protection) should be eliminated entirely. They are there to serve, not make a career out of screwing the citizens they are supposed to work for.

I would have no problem standing in front of the entire bunch of them and shoving that fact down their throats. Not one of them has done even a passable job in decades, and it is time to stop letting them sluff off while they keep right on imposing more and more crap on America.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:22 PM on May. 11, 2012

• No I do not
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:19 PM on May. 11, 2012

• That dispels the myth that one term equals full pension and benefits for life.

If they are paying into it then sure. Do they deserve it? Not really. Especially when they keep cutting benefits for others who pay into their retirements.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:31 PM on May. 11, 2012

I agree with most of what you said. I'm curious about the last part I highlighted. What do you mean? I haven't heard anything about them cutting benefits for people.

As to the question, they are paying into their own retirement like other federal employees, they have to serve so many years to be vested (by the way ALL retirement/pension plans require 5 years, it used to be longer), I don't see why they should be any different from anyone else in a retirement/pension plan.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:26 PM on May. 11, 2012

• I had a thought and it died of loneliness. I was on a tangent about something and thought I deleted it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:21 PM on May. 11, 2012

• at this point in time, military receives retirement benfits including medical care until they die if they served a specific number of years. so it looks like government employees all get lifetime benefits. But the amount the congress,others receive seems excessive. Maybe the amount is what bothers us? ~ Iga

Not unless they put in a certain number of years or become disabled, and medical has to be paid same as civilian insurance for all retirees (and isn't accepted by a large percentage of doctors because it barely pays anything ~ yay for gov't. ins.). Unless one retires as a MSGT or as an officer, most retirement pay is barely above the limit for FS. That's what risking your life for the country will get ya. Many of our retirees were promised free health care for a lifetime ... and congress continues to deny it in spite of the recruitment posters shoved in their faces. Comparing military to congress is very disingenuous.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:28 PM on May. 11, 2012

• I don't think they should receive the entire benefit pkg like they did when they were still in the WH. Its their right, just as everybody else to have access to healthcare and such. But it should be a reduced rate and they should have to pay a deductible when they go see a doctor.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:29 PM on May. 11, 2012

• I don't know Farmlady I think we need them housed in DC during session. I think they should be their to vote. That is their job for the duration. I think they should pay into SS like everyone else and receive those benefits like evryone else. Same with health care plans. No exemptions.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:09 PM on May. 11, 2012

• That's true Dardenella, but if they get paid on commission only, I think a lot more of them would show up to do the job they get paid to do ...
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:29 PM on May. 11, 2012

• No
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:45 PM on May. 11, 2012