If an unmarried couple have a child should the child have the mother or father's last name and why?

2asof2009

Asked by 2asof2009 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• The mothers, especially if you don't know if you and the baby's father will work things out. It's really a pain for the mother in the long run. For school and everything else. JMO I've had 2 friends do the opposite and they really regret giving the fathers name.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I gave my son my fiances last name, a week later he left with his new GF. Obviously I wish I had given him my last name. I think it depends on the couple though. Not everyones SO is an a$$ like mine was. =)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I gave my son my BF's last name. We have been together for 2 years before that. I am very much in love with him. We just decided that we don't want to marry. A personal decision. Nothing against marriage. 2 years later we are still together. I think it all depends on the people.
    Anonymous

• I gave my son my boyfriends last name. We are married now so it worked out!
    But even if we didn't get married I would have probably got married sometime down the road and my son would have had a different last name than both his mom and dad.

Now I know we could have changed it, but what a pain in the ass.
    Anonymous

• Whichever the parents decide on. And being married doesn't really matter. In some marriages, the woman keeps her last name and then passes it on to some of her children.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with Kaycee! Very well put.

cstanton625

Answer by cstanton625 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I say give him/her the fathers last name. Its the right thing to do...
    Anonymous

• I think the last name is something that needs to be decided on together by the mother and father, unless ofcourse the father is not in the picture at all, and then i would say probably just the mothers name. It can always be changed later whichever way they go.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation. My son has his dad's last name, but we're together now, and plan on getting married soon. We're teenagers and still in school, that's why. But if the father is an idiot and could care less, then I would keep the mother's last name. jmo.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think the child should be given the fathers name in most situations. For the most part it is tradition.
    Anonymous