Jehovah's Witness....

I have a 6 year old JW boy in my class. His mom doesn't want him to celebrate any holidays (which is fine...I can work with that), but he seems obsessed with Disney characters...superheros....wrestlers....video games. Mom explained to me about the religion part but wouldn't these things fall under the same catergories (make believe, costumes...isn't that the same as Santa or the Easter Bunny?) Or since it doesn't have to do with religion it's ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmmm, interesting question - why don't you post it in a JW group?
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 11:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• why not ask the child's mother? I'm sure she knows about him liking these things. Is it really your place as his teacher to question him liking these things following his religion or not?
    Anonymous

• I'm not questioning it...it just seems like it's all he ever talks about. The rest of my kids think Santa is real and he's convinced Buzz Lightyear and Batman are real. He has a lot health issues too so I don't know if they're making up for that or if it doesn't really matter.
    Anonymous

• My son has a classmate who is JW, and her mom's focus is to keep her "safe" while also not alienating her like she was as a kid. Our kids get along great, partly, I'm sure, because they can relate to each other in terms of Disney and Star Wars and Dreamworks movies.

And fwiw, my son believes Santa and ewoks are both real.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• for me I see nothing wrong with make-believe or an imagination and yes, I'm one of JW's, I like most of Disney movies too, we don't celebrate or do things that are part of worship to other gods like in Christmas,Easter...ect , we don't teach our children that imaginary characters are real but we also know that children at young ages don't distinguish between reality and fiction, my daughter (who is ADHD) was obsessed with certain shows or characters as a child and talked non-stop about them, this may be why he does... JMO.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• we don't celebrate or do things that are part of worship to other gods like in Christmas,Easter...

Lisa, I realize your beliefs are different but I don't worship celebrate or do things worshiping "oter gods" relating Christmas. I have never understood how having a tree which is symbolic of the tree Jesus hung on for my sins, is worshiping other gods. regarding Easter,is having the fantasy of the Easter bunny for children worshiping another god? I am NOT bashing, I just don't understand how they correlate. Would you please explain for me. TYVM
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Hello there WAganma56, I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses too, and if lisarose45 doesn't get back to you on your questions right away I'll try to give it a shot. By the way, hello lisarose*
    lockscurly

Answer by lockscurly at 1:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Hello to the person who wrote this question about the young Witness boy in your class. I kinda like this forum because asking questions and getting accurate answers, not speculation, is useful towards bridging the gap towards people not understanding one another. If you don't feel comfortable asking the mom, we have a brochure designed specifically for teachers so that they can have more insight and therefore become more comfortable with our unique differences that all of us have. I just don't know how to give it to you unless you would feel comfortable with my having your e-mail address so I can print all the pages of the brochure, unless you can tell me of another way I can do it. I'm not computer savvy.
    lockscurly

Answer by lockscurly at 1:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• TO: WAganma56

OK, well here is what Encyclopedia's say

The more pertinent explanation for eating eggs on Easter is that found in The Catholic Encyclopedia: "The custom may have its origin in paganism, for a great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring."

The

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The New Encyclopædia Britannica explains that the hare was “the symbol of fertility in ancient Egypt.” Thus when children hunt for Easter eggs, supposedly brought by the Easter rabbit, “this is not mere child’s play, but the vestige of a fertility rite.”—Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend, volume 1, page 335.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2009