Syrup and mold

I put syrup over my pancakes and notices a nasty fuzzy gray colored spot appeared on cakes, I poured more thinking it may be a color change from the butter but not. So anyway I got grossed out this hasn't happened before. I bought from an amish farm. Did I do something wrong in storing, I've done the same thing. Or is it because its Amish??

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Why would it be because it's Amish?

Some syrups need to be refrigerated once they've been opened. You don't say how you stored it, but if it had mold, it could be because of that.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think the Amish mention might have been more of a "Do they make it differently?" than anything. I was wondering the same thing, that maybe the factories that make the supermarket syrups put preservatives, etc., in it to prevent mold.

As jespeach said, though, the only thing I can think of is that it needed to be refrigerated and you didn't?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No I didn't, I never do. hmmm. so I probably should throw it out, right? I'm not sure since cheese mold gets cut off, not sure about syrup, since its never happened. Yes amish are organic, if I'm correct-no preservatives, that was my concern.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would throw it out. It isn't likely to make you sick, but I would throw it out for the ick factor anyway :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'm with jespeach on the "ick" factor! When in doubt, throw it out! I never refrigerate my opened bottle of syrup, but I usually get Aunt Jemima or something on the grocery shelf that's packed with preservatives. I have a bottle of pure maple syrup that I opened sometime in the past year and didn't refrigerate. I wanted to use it today b/c I ran out of syrup, but it smelled/tasted funny. So I tossed it. Better safe than sorry. Maybe you could contact the place that made it and ask them. Even "homemade" items usually carry an address/phone number on their labels.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 2:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• thanks all
    babygirl821

Answer by babygirl821 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2009