I have a grea 1/2 quad strain. What exercises can I do and when so that I don't fall off the wagon?

Last night I really noticed it. I was playing in a softball game and my quad just got more and more painful, to the point I was crying. I came home, took ibuprofen, elevated it, iced it, put heat on it. Tis morning it is a lot better, but tender to touch. I can put weight on it and such, but any real stretching of it is painful. I put an Epsom salt wrap on it which seemed to help it, so I plan to do that a couple times every day for awhile.

I've been running, doing elliptical, leg resistance exercises, squats, lunges, and playing softball. I am not the most athletic person, but I am relatively in shape, average build.

Also, anything that will help me to heal more quickly? How long should it take before I can get back into my normal routine? Thanks!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 6:31 PM on May. 11, 2012 in Health

• grea 1/2??? I'm in sports med and have no clue what that means.

I'll tell you right now HEAT is the 1# worst thing you can do for an acute muscle strain!!!! Use a 6 inch double ace wrap for compression from your knee to your hip and this will make walking more comfortable. Con't to ICE (ICE ONLY) for 20 minutes several times a day, Advil/Motrin is good too.

Stretch only as far as you can with NO PAIN. PAIN FREE is your key to healing!! PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM HEAT until the injury is at least 2 weeks old!!! CAN NOT stress that enough!!!

If you can't go back to cardio pain free in 3-4 days time with the quad wrapped talk to your doc!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:09 PM on May. 11, 2012

• Hear are some rehab ex & info... the key is pain free!!! You may have to take a few days off from your normal lower body routine, but you can do upper body and cardio if it's not painful. You won't loose much in the week or so this should take to heal. 

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8290850/quadriceps-strengthening-exercises-vmo-strengthe.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/478316-rehabilitation-for-a-quadriceps-strain/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/329262-rehabilitation-exercises-for-the-quadricep-tendon/

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:30 PM on May. 11, 2012

• I though ice first too. That needs to rest for a couple of days.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:35 PM on May. 11, 2012

• Oops, sorry, GRADE not grea. Ok, no more heat. But when I I Ed it it just made it spasm and hurt more. The heat relaxed it. But thanks for that tip!
    missbreezy214

Comment by missbreezy214 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on May. 11, 2012

• OK... Grade makes more sense... who told you it was a grade 1-2?? There are only 3 grades with #3 being a total tear/rupture... so a grade 2 is a pretty substantial injury. That concerns me. ;o(

The heat relaxed it.

Yeah... BUT.... heat also increases swelling/edema and the bleeding that happens from tearing muscle fibers... majorly prolonging healing time! Ice will hurt at first... it goes pain, burn numb... once you get to numb it's actually helping you. So, you have to suck it up and go thru the pain & burn feeling to get to the therapeutic state your muscle really requires.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:12 PM on May. 11, 2012