Help! Flying cross country with a 21 month old!

I am taking a 5 and a half hour flight (during the day) with my 21 month old. What have you done (or heard of) that has worked to keep an active toddler busy on a long flight? And is there any other advice you have for me?

Aimee139

Asked by Aimee139 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bought him a little back pack filled with little toys. Wal-Mart has a section with toys that are really cheap. Also I got him a color book with new crayons. I didn't let him have it until we were on the plane so all the toys were still new and wonderful! Make sure he has his sippy or bottle. Let him sit by the window and tell him stuff like WOW LOOK AT THAT! Make it exciting and not scary. It worked for us. Our little boy was about that age the first time we flew.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When we flew it was from Atlanta to Honolulu, I packed crayons and coloring books, some of his favorite train toys, stuff he could draw with, and his Vsmile pocket thing, I also had a portable DVD player with all his favorite movies.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 11:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• A little backpack just for your child filled with brand new toys from the dollar tree or the dollar aisle from Target, coloring books, favorite snacks, favorite books, a favorite stuffed animal or other lovey, maybe a portable dvd player or laptop with dvds, a few new books (lift the flap, peek a boo, touch and feel especially). I've never travelled across the country with a toddler, but these are things people I know have done. Good luck!
    paganpiratemama

Answer by paganpiratemama at 12:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009