How long do I wait to potty-train my 1 year old?

I have a one year old but I don't know when to potty-train her. when should i start?

AlexC25

Asked by AlexC25 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she shows signs of being ready. Usually not until after 2 because until then they don't really realize control etc.

Every baby is different and some are ready right away, some take more time. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree, when she is really ready. It's not based on age. You can start anytime you want but she will be completely potty trained at the same age no matter when you start. So... months and months of trying with both of you frustrated or a month of teaching her.

I really like "The No Cry Potty Training Solution". It has a GREAT "is she ready" test for you to take to help you gage just how ready she is.

Things you can do until then:
    Get the potty and let her play with it and read her storybooks about potty training.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• it depends on the child. just answer these questions if you can answer mostly yes's then shes ready if not then shes not.

* Does your child seem interested in the potty chair or toilet, or in wearing underwear?
    * Can your child understand and follow basic directions?
    * Can your child ask simple questions?
    * Does your child stay dry for periods of two hours or longer during the day? Does he or she wake from naps dry?
    * Does your child have fairly predictable bowel movements?
    * Does your child tell you when he or she needs to potty or poop?
    * Is your child uncomfortable in wet or dirty diapers?
    * Can your child pull down his or her pants and pull them up again?
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It depends on how you want to train. Do you want to introduce the potty and then follow your child's pace? If so...now. We introduced when Roo was a newborn and she was fully potty trained at her own pace by 14 months.
    Do you want to just "do it and get it over with?" then the answer above mine is great.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009